AVSIG: DOTIG: Pilots Losing Skills wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: SOCAL
DOTIG: Pilots Losing Skills
      #420607 - 01/11/16 11:08 PM

....and FAA needs to fix it.

LINK

"WASHINGTON (AP) The government is falling short in ensuring airline pilots keep up their flying skills and get full training on how to monitor sophisticated automated control systems in cockpits, according to the Transportation Department's internal watchdog.

Most airline flying today is done through automated systems that pilots closely monitor. Pilots typically use manual flying skills only briefly during takeoffs and landings. Studies and accident investigations have raised concern that pilots' manual flying skills are becoming rusty and that pilots have a hard time staying focused on instrument screens for long periods."

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: DOTIG: Pilots Losing Skills [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #420612 - 01/11/16 11:47 PM

Well, if this is perhaps a problem in the USA -just think about the international commercial pilot community. We will need to hire 30,000-50,000 new pilots over the next 1-15 years. (That was the data from both Boeing and Airbus last summer at the annual ALPA Safety Forum).

Delta, American, and UAL will be hiring about 800 new pilots a year for the next few years-each airline!

Thus, this is just the start of this coming dilemma.

Regards,

Retired Dux from Tucson

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: DOTIG: Pilots Losing Skills [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #420616 - 01/12/16 04:13 AM

The controllers aren't much better off: the ATC end is "fly the RNAV procedure", and the pilot end is "tell FMS to fly the RNAV procedure."

Which works great until a thunderstorm parks in the middle of the RNAV procedure...

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: DOTIG: Pilots Losing Skills [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #420627 - 01/12/16 05:50 PM

Quote:

The controllers aren't much better off: the ATC end is "fly the RNAV procedure", and the pilot end is "tell FMS to fly the RNAV procedure."

Which works great until a thunderstorm parks in the middle of the RNAV procedure...

Of the FMS does not comply.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2136

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG