AVSIG: Unleaded wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
Unleaded
      #396414 - 09/12/14 10:03 AM

I read that the FAA has selected for further testing four unleaded candidates to replace 100LL, two from Swift Fuels and one each from Shell and Total. I was surprised to see that the GAMI product, G100UL, was not among them (I assume it was submitted for consideration). GAMI had certainly done a lot of work on it.

I can't find anything on why it wasn't chosen. Anyone (Paul?) know the story?

Thanks,
Mac

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Unleaded [Re: Mac Tichenor (DAL)]
      #396415 - 09/12/14 11:50 AM

Mac -- It was not submitted, as George and GAMI are following a different path (STC/AML) to "certification" rather than getting entangled in the years long process that this fuel approval process would entail. George described the strategy in some detail at the ROAGig (no. 1, I believe). I haven't heard that this has changed.

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
Re: Unleaded [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #396418 - 09/12/14 01:03 PM

Ah, got it.

Mac

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: Unleaded [Re: Mac Tichenor (DAL)]
      #396467 - 09/13/14 04:23 PM

I'm not into flying small single engine birds anymore -but we did use 100LL at Flying Cloud. Could a small diesel engine now be light enough to be a power source and could it run on JetA? Is this subject even under any study?

I'm amazed at the torque and power of my wife's VW turbo Passat. -but it does not have wings and the landing gear does not retract.

Regards,

Dux

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Re: Unleaded [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #396479 - 09/13/14 06:42 PM

Dux -- Diesel is where the action is these days, although it has be troublesome with the gearboxes necessary for piston aircraft engines to live through the power pulses of a diesel engine. The Chinese, through their owned engine manufacturer Continental, are pushing diesel development big time. Not much 100LL is available outside of North America, and pretty much not at all in Asia/Africa.

Is your email still one with the cs.com domain? I've sent some recent articles your way.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Unleaded [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #396487 - 09/13/14 08:46 PM Attachment (117 downloads)

Quote:

I'm not into flying small single engine birds anymore -but we did use 100LL at Flying Cloud. Could a small diesel engine now be light enough to be a power source and could it run on JetA? Is this subject even under any study?

I'm amazed at the torque and power of my wife's VW turbo Passat. -but it does not have wings and the landing gear does not retract.

Regards,

Dux

If you order a new 182 from Cessna, it comes with a 227-hp turbo diesel that burns Jet-A.

The Diamond DA42 twin can be ordered with either gasoline or turbo diesel engines.

Edited by Mase Taylor (09/13/14 09:11 PM)

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Re: Unleaded [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #396489 - 09/13/14 10:08 PM

Mase --They're still making avgas-powered 182s, right?

And the Diamond....the original Thielert engine was a disaster, caused Diamond to scrap that supplier and engineer its own diesel that also used the same MB engine design Thielert had used (but with a cast iron case). Thielert, out of bankruptcy (restructuring under German law?) is what the Chinese bought through Continental.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #396493 - 09/13/14 10:29 PM

Quote:

Mase --They're still making avgas-powered 182s, right?

No, I don't think so. If you want a gas engine from Cessna you have to go with the 172, Stationair or TTx.

The 182 does not appear to have a gas engine option. They seem pretty well committed to the diesel.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #396503 - 09/14/14 11:51 AM

Hi Scott,

Yes same ole e mail and I did get some articles. Thanks.

I was not aware of the diesel activity in small aircraft -should have done more homework.

My wife's uncle Parker Cramer, made a few attempts to cross the Atlantic by the great circle route. His last flight was with a single engine diesel seaplane and he was lost on the last leg. The airplane was recovered but not the crew of two. 1931. Some aviation historians believe that the problem was in the fuel filters and while you can often make a landing in rough seas, the takeoff part is a big problem.

Regards,

Dux

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
      #396512 - 09/14/14 06:10 PM

See:

http://generalaviationnews.com/2014/09/1...b06f13d2b-33669

- Reams-

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG