AVSIG: Sectional/TAC Symbology wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Sectional/TAC Symbology
      #249350 - 05/29/09 01:03 PM Attachment (163 downloads)

I was looking at the Chicago Sectional and TAC on www.skyvector.com and saw something that I can't remember seeing before.

MDW airport has a Class C area which completely underlies the ORD Class B. The altitude ranges for the Class C all list "T" as the upper altitude limit. From the context, it appears clear that the Class C extends upward to the base of the overlying Class B but I can't figure out what "T" stands for and can't find it listed in the legend. Does anybody know?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mick Ruthven
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #249353 - 05/29/09 02:02 PM

Class B used to be called TCA, Terminal Control Area, and my dim memory says that's where that "T" on the chart comes from (bottom of the TCA, now Class B).

Quote:

I was looking at the Chicago Sectional and TAC on www.skyvector.com and saw something that I can't remember seeing before.

MDW airport has a Class C area which completely underlies the ORD Class B. The altitude ranges for the Class C all list "T" as the upper altitude limit. From the context, it appears clear that the Class C extends upward to the base of the overlying Class B but I can't figure out what "T" stands for and can't find it listed in the legend. Does anybody know?

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: Mick Ruthven]
      #249360 - 05/29/09 02:25 PM

Mick -- Correct.

See page 4 of this guide:

http://naco.faa.gov/content/naco/online/pdf_files/8th_VFR_Intro.pdf

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #249362 - 05/29/09 02:52 PM

Thanks for the link.

Strange that they didn't update it when the TCAs were renamed.

Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Ventura, CA
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #249695 - 06/01/09 02:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link.

Strange that they didn't update it when the TCAs were renamed.

I'm sure they have a cross-functional team working the issue. In fact, I suspect the team has been hot on the trail ever since the issue was first noticed back when the airspace changed... what, 15 years ago?

I mean, think of it. First, they have to identify the members of the team. THen they'll need to work out the team charter, and get that language signed off by all the big whigs. And then they'll have to decide where and when to meet, and the size and shape of the table.

THen of course the real work begins. But wait.... there has been an election and there is a new President which means new agency direction. So the charter of all special teams needs to be reviewed. But the Administrator hasn't been named, nor has the Political Officer (Ooops... I mean deputy administrator). When they finally get on board they will require changes to not only the charter, but also the team makeup etc. So the process begins anew.

So after all this, the special team finally agrees that the symbology needs to change. But how? And.. OMG... the team charter didn't include MAKING the changes.. it was just chartered to determine IF a change was necessary. So.... you guessed it... the Political Officer (oops, did it again. I mean Deputy Administrator) has to approve a change to the charter... and ... well.. you get the picture.

And then, when all the work was done and the final decree was written and approved and sent to the administrator.. but shucks, he had already quit to go to work in industry since the Pres was termed out. So the decree sat on teh Adminstrators desk for months.

Then the new president appointed a new Adminstrator and new Political Officer (doggone it, there I go again) and they didn't want to rubber stamp a decree from the prior administration. SOOOOOOO... they appointed a new commision to study the impact of approving decrees left over by the old administration. And that team needed a charter.. and you get the picture.

BUT -- I belive the new administration is hot on the trail. So maybe the change will be enacted before Obama moves on...

We can only hope.

-TH

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)]
      #249719 - 06/01/09 09:09 AM

Quote:

I mean, think of it. First, they have to identify the members of the team. THen they'll need to work out the team charter, and get that language signed off by all the big whigs. And then they'll have to decide where and when to meet, and the size and shape of the table.

As Randy would say, "You Done Broke the Code!"

I think this behavior is true for any organization, public or private, larger than about 3000 people, based on my experiences.

Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Huntsville, Alabama
Re: Sectional/TAC Symbology [Re: Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)]
      #249726 - 06/01/09 09:35 AM

Tom, I can't tell whether that is humor, cynicism, or experience! <g>

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG