Warning: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/aerofarm/web/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 155
AVSIG: Piper sold to Imprimis wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Piper

Pages: 1
John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
Piper sold to Imprimis
      #245663 - 05/01/09 08:40 PM

Piper Aircraft sold to Imprimis
    American Capital, based in Bethesda, Maryland, has sold a 100-percent stake in Piper Aircraft to Imprimis, an investment strategy company with offices in Bangkok, Singapore, and a new office opened in Brunei Darussalam in 2008.
So, will Pipers now be made in Maylaysia?

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
Re: Piper sold to Imprimis [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #245673 - 05/01/09 09:06 PM

Quote:

Piper Aircraft sold to Imprimis
    American Capital, based in Bethesda, Maryland, has sold a 100-percent stake in Piper Aircraft to Imprimis, an investment strategy company with offices in Bangkok, Singapore, and a new office opened in Brunei Darussalam in 2008.
So, will Pipers now be made in Maylaysia?

If the price will be lower, why not?

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
      #245684 - 05/01/09 10:10 PM

<< So, will Pipers now be made in Maylaysia? >>

Interesting, the article said the buyers saw a market over there for many 2- to 6-seat aircraft. Piper shut down production of the Cub in the early 90's and production of all their 4-seaters last year. I wonder where they're going with this?

Regards,
Joe

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
Re: Piper sold to Imprimis [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #245688 - 05/01/09 11:19 PM

Quote:

If the price will be lower, why not?

There's the little matter of quality. I recall when Lancair outsourced the fabrication of the aluminum brackets and other gizmos for their kit to the Philippines. The quality was simply atrocious. I returned them for a refund and made better parts in my garage with a drill press and a file.

It's my belief that you pretty much get what you pay for in life.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #245694 - 05/02/09 12:16 AM

If the quality is not there then Piper's warranty costs will skyrocket and they will either improve quality or go out of business. The free market at work.

Made outside the US does no mean worse or better quality. My wing flap tracks (3/4 thick milled aluminum) were manufactured in Texas and started exfoliating after a few years.

Edited by Jerry Kurata [KLVK] (05/02/09 12:21 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4557

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG