AVSIG: Can't Connect to Wireless Network wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1
Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Can't Connect to Wireless Network
      #134959 - 11/26/06 07:34 PM

Dear All,

I have a wireless network in my house. One wired connection, 2 desktops wireless. One wireless desktop works fine, the other can't seem to connect. The computer in the Tray shows a connection, usually with a weak signal. When I right click it for Status, it shows that it found the network, reads "Connected" and is receiving the wireless signal (usually with a weak signal), but when I try to access anything on the Internet I get a message back saying that I'm not connected and would I like to work Offline. When I right click for Repair, it says something like it can't repair due to Unable to find IP address.

My calls to Tech Support were a complete waste of time. (They just told me to do what I already did myself, and then told me to lower my Security settings to the lowest level and delete my Cookies, and if that didn't work, call the mfr.)

I've been through the Properties tab and entered the Network Key, and I think all of that configuration is right.

Whenever someone comes over with a laptop, I enter the Network Key and they connect with no problem.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Can't Connect to Wireless Network [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #134964 - 11/26/06 09:15 PM

Make sure the network connection on that computer is set to DHCP rather then static?

On the two wireless machines, go to a command prompt (Start | Run | Enter "CMD" (without the quotes) and press Enter.)

Run IPCONFIG /ALL and compare them. The Mac address and IP will be different of course, but otherwise there shouldn't be much difference between them. Both IPs should be part of the same subnet. Gateway and DNS should be the same, etc.

Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)
Public Guest

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Maine
Can't Connect to Wireless Network [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #134978 - 11/27/06 02:43 AM

Robert,

Do the functioning connections show a "good" signal?

If the dysfunctional computer is the only one that shows a weak signal, and
if a laptop in the same room shows a good signal, perhaps there is a problem
with the network adapter in the bad computer.

You could check that by swapping adapters with a good computer.

--------------------
--ron

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #134995 - 11/27/06 05:13 AM

Sounds like a poor radio link between the two.

Is there a cordless phone base near the desktop? Many are in the same band as wifi. My notebook's wifi doesn't work when I carry it into our office which is where the base station for our cordless phones resides. I'll show a connection but I barely get anything. Web pages take many minutes to load (even web sites other than AvSig)

Through how many walls and floors does the straight-line signal pass? Two or less is good, any more than that and you may have problems.

Move the wireless access point (router) around and see if you can find a position where a connection is possible.

Consider biting the bullet and having an electrician out for an afternoon to run cat 5 between the location. The reliability is worth the cost for a stationary computer. $200-$300 and you'll have near perfect networking.

treploW nellA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: NNJ(me)/DXR(plane)
      #134996 - 11/27/06 05:15 AM

1) Move the desktop with the weak signal near the wireless access point. See if things work with a stronger signal.

As Ron said you may have a bad wireless card or antenna; or there may be RF interference from other devices you have in that area; or you may just be too far or going through too many walls to get a strong wireless signal. 802.11 external antennas are available that can improve reception in marginal locations.

2) Temporarily turn off your encryption and turn on the SSID beacon and see if the PC connects without needing a network key.

3) Does everything work correctly if you cable connect the PC into the router?

4) As you try different configuration changes reboot the PC each time. I have found once wireless has a problem connecting I may not be able to get it to connect properly without a reboot.

5) Do you have another wireless access card to try in that PC?

--------------------
Allen

Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Re: Can't Connect to Wireless Network [Re: treploW nellA]
      #135116 - 11/27/06 05:59 PM

Dear Allen & others who contributed,

I got it connected. I think what the problem might have been was was that a few weeks back I renamed the network name on the machine I was having a problem with to make it easier to identify the network. I changed it back tonight, entered the Network Key, and here I am running.

If it wasn't that, I don't know what it was, but it's connected now.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1588

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG