AVSIG: Net Neutrality wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Net Neutrality [Re: Russell Holton]
      #445409 - 11/30/17 10:12 PM

No one in network management world seems to think the existing rules are causing any legitimate issues, and the “improved” version seems to mainly be an ideological project. Usual flannel about “innovation”, etc...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #445507 - 12/04/17 04:06 PM

And now one of the tech writers I've come to like has weighed in:

Opinion: Net neutrality is a myth, and the FCC changes aren't what you think

"For the past week, I've been trying to get a handle on exactly what Chairman Pai is proposing, what that proposal would mean, and what would change.

"To that end, I've skipped past all the blog posts, all the well-meaning tech explainers, and all the forceful, yet sincere videos. I've gone straight to the source. I've been reading the law. The actual Code of Federal Regulations, and the actual documents that describe the changes proposed by the FCC."

"Strap in kids. The ride is about to get bumpy."

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #445511 - 12/04/17 05:59 PM

Quote:

And now one of the tech writers I've come to like has weighed in:

Opinion: Net neutrality is a myth, and the FCC changes aren't what you think

Very interesting. Basically, he's saying that the proposed changes don't impact the current language about throttling/blocking/prioritizing, so therefore, people shouldn't be getting worked up.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Re: Net Neutrality [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #445512 - 12/04/17 06:12 PM

And the whole Title 1/Title 2 thing only applies to mobile networks, not your typical home/business wired network.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

#445553 - 12/05/17 04:20 PM

Well, that didn't last long.

Same author:

FCC revisited: Net neutrality changes are misleading and not benign, says Gewirtz

"There was a failure here. But, quite honestly, I'm not entirely sure whether it was a failure on my part to find the right primary source document or on the part of the government for not publishing their latest source document in the official location reserved for documents of this type."

"As a journalist, I'm seriously troubled that the newest FCC information, that should have been in the EDOCS system, was not only not indexed, it wasn't dated, and the document even lists itself as unofficial. I'm left feeling like this was a purposeful attempt by the FCC to seem transparent while being misleading, and it feels like I got snookered by it."

"Specifically, this new document proposes the following:

"Remove and delete in their entirety sections 8.2, 8.3, 8.5, 8.7, 8.9, 8.11, 8.12, 8.13, 8.14, 8.15,8.16, 8.17, 8.18, and 8.19.

"If this is, in fact, the new official FCC stance, then much of what in my previous analysis is now incorrect. If 8.5 No Blocking, 8.7 No Throttling, and 8.9 No Paid Prioritization, among the other internet freedom sections are removed, then many of the concerns of the net neutrality proponents are more than justified."

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

#445684 - 12/09/17 11:22 AM

Pai is absolutely toxic: he's the equivalent of putting Pruitt in charge of the EPA.

And as I said before, as soon as some company expensively objects to rules against stuff they say they would never do, count on them doing it sooner or later.

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
Re: Net Neutrality [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #445703 - 12/10/17 03:10 AM

Here is the playbook for the 3-2 decision and aftermath litigation...

https://gizmodo.com/what-actually-happens-the-day-net-neutrality-is-repeale-1820813374

- Reams-

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Re: Net Neutrality [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #445712 - 12/10/17 12:53 PM

My vote would be the DC Circuit, but we’ll see.

Slim chance of a Congressional resolution of disapproval, I guess: they only use that on things that help consumers.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Re: Net Neutrality [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #445714 - 12/10/17 02:09 PM

Quote:

Slim chance of a Congressional resolution of disapproval, I guess: they only use that on things that help consumers.

While congress seems tone-deaf to the desires of the population at large, I think they do respond to their own constituents. After all, they do want to be re-elected. They're just tone deaf to those outside of their district.

I think this more drastic change to the rules is something that crosses party lines.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7649

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG