AVSIG: The FAA's New Flight Standards Service avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1
Rick Cremer
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: KSRQ
The FAA's New Flight Standards Service
      #441916 - 08/22/17 07:49 PM

Launching a More Agile and Efficient FAA Flight Services Service

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=88644

This, according to the FAA;

"August 22 – The Federal Aviation Administration’s Flight Standards Service (AFS) plays a vital role in making the U.S. aviation system the world’s safest. But even the best can get better.

On August 20, AFS made organizational adjustments that will enable it to operate with greater accountability, better use of resources, and more readiness to adapt to change. The FAA expects the Flight Standards restructuring to yield benefits to both the agency and the U.S. aviation community. It will strengthen the organization’s ability to keep pace with changes in the aviation industry, increase the Service’s ability to derive maximum benefit from the fixed resources allocated to the agency, and make sure AFS employees develop and interpret regulations and policy consistently across the organization.

To enhance the AFS safety culture, interdependence, critical thinking, and consistency will now embedded in every AFS employee's work requirements. And to facilitate a more agile, efficient, and consistent organization, the service is reorganizing from today's structure, see current org chart (PDF), to one based on function, see new org chart.
The FAA issued an Information for Operators bulletin (PDF) (InFO) on July 26 to provide industry with information to help prepare for the AFS reorganization. The agency has also established a web page to give the aerospace community more detail on the AFS changes."

My favorite " make sure AFS employees develop and interpret regulations and policy consistently across the organization.

I remember talking about this back in the 1980s. 4000 inspectors and as many interpretations of the same regulation. #1 wrong interpretation "Flight and Duty Time regulations", #2 logging PIC time, #3 what the term "for hire" means.

Well, we'll see but I put this "organizational adjustment" in the same category as ATC privatization. Ain't gonna see it in our lifetime.

Best

Rick Cremer
FAA Inspector (Ret.)
Former Avsig FAA Representative

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mark Kolber (TTA/NC)
Public Guest

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: APA/Denver Colorado
Re: The FAA's New Flight Standards Service [Re: Rick Cremer]
      #441954 - 08/24/17 05:40 AM

Are you getting any direct insight from your remaining FSDO contacts, Rick?

I've spoken with the Manager and FAASTeam PM at my local FSDO. Both said the restructure is mostly organizational. We (pilots, mechanics) will see the same locations and the same people. It's only the chain of command that will change.

My own suspicion is that the language you highlighted about consistency in applying the regs was a driving force. Kind of the same thing I think was a significant factor leading to the "Compliance Philosophy."

We'll see...

--------------------
Mark Kolber
www.midlifeflight.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 330

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG