AVSIG: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Piper

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #434144 - 01/01/17 11:54 PM

Quote:

Druther not go that far

Tomasina, sitting here now reading this stuff and your reply triggered some o-l-d story that Connie Edwards told me, that guy is a continuous source of jokes, my stomach ached after flying with him from laughing. Story involved an Arkansas farmer herding a bunch of hogs down the road. Problem is that right now all I can think of/remember is the punch line "So - what's time to a hog"? Duz anyone reading this remember that joke? It seemed appropos at the time since we were somewhere between Newfoundland and the Azores with the PBY at 105 knots!

best, randy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
Re: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #434146 - 01/02/17 12:13 AM

Quote:

story that Connie Edwards told me, that guy is a continuous source of jokes, my stomach ached after flying with him from laughing. Story involved an Arkansas farmer herding a bunch of hogs down the road. Problem is that right now all I can think of/remember is the punch line "So - what's time to a hog"? Duz anyone reading this remember that joke? It seemed appropos at the time since we were somewhere between Newfoundland and the Azores with the PBY at 105 knots!

Hi Randy,

Don’t know the story but makes me smile just think’n bout y’all somewhere out there over the Atlantic split’n a gut at some outrageous joke/story.

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Randy Sohn

#434150 - 01/02/17 10:37 AM

Quote:

somewhere out there over the Atlantic split’n a gut at some outrageous joke/story

Connie's got a continous never ending series of jokes, same as some of the DC-3 captains I flew with in my early years at North Central, I'd come back off a four day trip out in the western division with my belly hurting from constantly laughing at some of those guys. His son (BTW BOTH great pilots), "Tex" though was completely serious and paid attention to everything while I was teaching him to fly the T-6 and Cat.

Prolly the thing though that absolutely sticks in my mind about that trip to England is after we'd left Lages (Terciera) coming back and, while rumbling along not very high over the water Tex spotted the island of San Miguel, ahead. So I sez "OK, Tex, I got it for a little while here" and increased to climb power. It was just barely daylight/dawn and I climbed just high enough to clear the land and flew down the main street of some little town there. Marty Caidin was sitting in the left hand observer's bubble in the rear end and right after he saw that little church's belltower go by he called me on the interphone and sez "Cripes Randy, you sure shortened up THEIR night"! Chuckle.

Good ole days!

best, randy

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

#434157 - 01/02/17 01:52 PM

Quote:

sez "Cripes Randy, you sure shortened up THEIR night"!

Hi Randy,
Thanks for typing and sharing that!
So I expect that was a –one- pass deal<g>?

Not much of a teller-of-jokes my own self (not bright enough) but –do- get, been party to, and appreciate most humor. Seen and heard a lot of really funny stuff over the years in our potentially “moment away from disaster” world of aviat’n.

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Randy Sohn

#434159 - 01/02/17 03:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for typing

Yup Tomasina, many just don't fully realize what a major effort it is to correct whatever I'd just written (just check over there to the left and "yo conosco!)

And yes, we just "kept on'a truckin" towards the west and - eventually - Bermuda after that low pass. IIRC, that leg was the longest that I've ever flown, I think 18 1/2 or 19 hours or so. I do remember that the next night when we got close to Bermuda Connie sez to me "Ya know something Ferd, meb'be we should stay up here a little longer cuz I've always wanted to put a "1" in my logbook, 1 day that is".

best, randy

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Loc: KBED
      #434174 - 01/02/17 10:12 PM

Apropos of nothing, your comment about the slow trip made me think of my son's current trip from Denver back to Boston. He is moving back here. He texted me to say that Kansas sure is flat, and that he has spent ALL day driving across the state....

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Randy Sohn

Re: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #434175 - 01/02/17 10:30 PM

Quote:

texted me to say that Kansas sure is flat, and that he has spent ALL day

Tell'im that I understand, but next time he needs to drive from LaFeria down there in the Valley up to Dalhart. Or from the "Piney Woods" out in east Texas to El Paso.

best, randy

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Loc: 4CO2
Re: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #434177 - 01/02/17 11:34 PM Attachment (109 downloads)

The Kansas state tree...

Randy Sohn

Re: Looking for a J-3 Cub to purchase [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #434178 - 01/02/17 11:47 PM

Quote:

The Kansas state tree...

Chuckle, made me recall one quote that i got from Waylon Jennings (was from west Texas) - "Ya'know, it was so flat where I come from that if your dog ran away you could see him goin' for three days".

best, randy

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

#434185 - 01/03/17 09:53 AM

Hi Randy,
Speaking of Connie, does he still have that PBY Cat down in Texas? Does it get flown?
I knew he found a buyer for all those Fighter planes he had from that movie deal.

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28879

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG