AVSIG: First production Cirrus Jet wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Cirrus Design

Pages: 1
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
First production Cirrus Jet
      #433668 - 12/20/16 09:50 AM

Adm. Andy, just read this AM's MSP newspaper down at the Caribou coffeeshop and a long article about the first - production airplane, certification and customer and family.

best, randy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Tucci (LDJ)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/19/04
Loc: The Empire State
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #433689 - 12/20/16 09:50 PM

Right you are Randy...
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2016-12-20/cirrus-delivers-first-vision-jet

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #433741 - 12/22/16 11:34 AM

Quote:

just read this AM's MSP newspaper down at the Caribou coffeeshop and a long article about the first - production airplane

Hi Randy,

While at the Duluth gig this past Sept. got to hold down a back seat in Dave’s C-90. In the run-up area Dave let one of the new jets taxi past and takeoff in front of us. A red one. Cute little bugger!
Wish them well.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (who’s troubled by the China ownership deal.)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
      #433833 - 12/24/16 10:28 AM

The first two have now been delivered. New owners have to go through a very structured training and qualification cycle, near-equivalent to ATP or they go home with a company instructor until they can qualify. Company line is that they've structured the training starting six months prior to delivery to insure there are no "fails." Right now, all training is in house; unless the insurance companies say otherwise, that'll last until the first used bird goes to someone.

Worth noting the deliveries are in Duluth; the big-bucks new delivery and training facility in Knoxville, TN (Money and cold weather dictated that move) still isn't done yet. Once it is, all SR and SF airframes will be ferried there for final detailing, prep, delivery and training.

Best,
Andy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: Andrew Niemyer -KDLH]
      #434067 - 12/31/16 04:25 PM

My only single engine jet flying was with USN training, decades ago. Of course we had ejection seats. Wonder if this jet Cirrus is the first single engine jet with a complete parachute system for the aircraft?

I also understand that they have a lot of back orders?

Regards,

Dux -missed BP's today, just too busy packing and we leave for Tucson tomorrow morning. No Cirrus, just a Delta MD-80 or perhaps MD-88? I think DAL bought some used one's from Southwest, which has just B-737 birds.

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #434076 - 12/31/16 07:48 PM

Southwest hasn't had any MD-80s for 30 years. Delta is in the process of buying the 88 ex-AirTran MD-95s/B717s (same size as DC-9-30). They now operate about 60 of the type.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #434077 - 12/31/16 07:54 PM

Quote:

Southwest hasn't had any MD-80s for 30 years. Delta is in the process of buying the 88 ex-AirTran MD-95s/B717s (same size as DC-9-30). They now operate about 60 of the type.

Wasn't the transfer of the B717s from Southwest/Airtran complete some time ago?

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #434080 - 12/31/16 10:29 PM

No, they're taking them in small bunches. The have about 65 or so, I think they bought all 80.

I always found it to be a very comfortable airplane to ride in. Much more comfortable than the MD-80 for some reason.

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
Re: First production Cirrus Jet [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #434093 - 01/01/17 11:22 AM

Quote:

My only single engine jet flying was with USN training, decades ago. Of course we had ejection seats. Wonder if this jet Cirrus is the first single engine jet with a complete parachute system for the aircraft?

I also understand that they have a lot of back orders?

Regards,

Dux

Dux,
Yes indeed, the SF50 (I think Cirrus is working on a proper ATC call for them to avoid confusion with the Eclipse EA500 series and the, i think the Phenom's) is the world's fist whole-aircraft parachute system jet of any kind. That was the engineering task that along with the wing root filet airflow, V-tail morphing into X-tail and engine inlet duct that I understand gave them the hardest challenges.

Order book is claimed at over 600 airframes, but the senior executive making that claim is notoriously known for, er, let's call it "sales hyperbole." But I do know that they actually stopped taking new orders well over 18 months ago. They have something like four or five years worth of production already booked.

Best,
Andy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG