AVSIG: A-10 News wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: A-10 News [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #432473 - 11/07/16 08:57 PM

Quote:

but the FAs on the US Majors do NOT look young

Terry, it all depends upon the routes (working schedules), the more junior ones and the reserves do.

best, randy (chuckle, a veteran of the senority system)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: A-10 News [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #432491 - 11/08/16 07:25 AM

Yeah, my father (82) is having a little trouble wrapping his brain around the notion that his son is eligible for Federal retirement...

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: A-10 News [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #432494 - 11/08/16 02:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but the FAs on the US Majors do NOT look young

Terry, it all depends upon the routes (working schedules), the more junior ones and the reserves do.

best, randy (chuckle, a veteran of the senority system)

Remember, most of my trips are international. And the US to Intl legs are to nice places, like Paris, London, etc. :)

So no young low seniority types on those flights. :)

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: A-10 News [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #432495 - 11/08/16 02:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my father (82) is having a little trouble wrapping his brain around the notion that his son is eligible for Federal retirement...

:)

My Dad is 89, and has been retired for a lot longer than I have worked for the Feds. And I am eligible for Federal retirement. :)

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Randy Sohn

Re: A-10 News [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #432498 - 11/08/16 03:44 PM

Quote:

So no young low seniority types on those flights. :)

Terrance, gotta concur. Can recall once taxiing out at Seoul (Kimpo) with an early -100 whale. It had the lower powered -A engines IIRC. Cabin crew I had on that trip was made up of F/A's from the Seattle domicile (HIGH senority). Anyhow, looking at a short flight to Tokyo before going onwards to San Frisco so I told the PX over the PA system - "Folks, sometimes in this business you just don't feel too smart and I can't figure out how we're gonna be able to climb high enough to get on top of this anticipated turbulence but we'll try to give you a good ride". Lordy, I hadn't even taxiied past that old hangar going out towards the takeoff runway when I heard her footsteps climbing up the circular staircase, BAM-BAM-BAM! Tne cockpit door bursts open and in comes the lead F/A. She then hollers at me "YOU JUST TOLD THEM THAT I WASN'T VERY SMART!" She then made a few more comments/words directed towards all three of us and then left. I wuz still shakin' my head and thinking, "what'd I do?" when the F/O chuckles and sez to me - "Guess we're not gonna get any coffee or anything for the rest of this trip since you got one of those Seattle Widebodies all PO'ed at us".

Chuckle, memories!

best, randy

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #432515 - 11/08/16 11:27 PM

Quote:

"Guess we're not gonna get any coffee or anything for the rest of this trip since you got one of those Seattle Widebodies all PO'ed at us".

Classic (in more ways than one), I love it. :)))

Bill

Randy Sohn

Re: A-10 News [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #432524 - 11/09/16 01:39 AM

Quote:

Classic (in more ways than one), I love it. :)))Bill

Bill, sometime get me to tell'ya about that time I had a SEATAC crew in back and on the Frankfurt overnight I ordered my usual "rhinescwhienhokken and behhh", German speakers here, help me out (ham hocks and beer). Takes a whole lotta typin' to 'splain what the #1 F/A did with my plate's leftover fat gristle.

best, randy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #432547 - 11/09/16 09:54 PM

Yes, I remember that place and we were staying at a Hilton on the river? That ham hock almost took 2 plates and likely had 3000 caleries just in the fat alone.

Meanwhile nice to see the A-10's flying over Tucson. Nice sunny weather here of course, but sounds like a nice late fall and warmer than normal Minneapolis weather as well.

Regards,

Dux

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: A-10 News [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #432548 - 11/09/16 11:08 PM

Baseler Eck? Yum!

I think when I was in town I stayed in an Intercontinental or something like that on the river. Great place to run, along the banks, and in the golden light of late afternoon I heard all the church bells pealing. Good appetite for dinner after that.

Randy Sohn

Re: A-10 News [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #432550 - 11/10/16 12:53 AM

Quote:

remember that place and we were staying at a Hilton on the river?...... just in the fat alone

Yup, try'n here to remember that place's name, favorite of the layover crews, long benches and community tables. "Crew room????" Dunno, sort'a a "mom and pop place, walking distance from the Hilton.

Anyhow, everytime I'd ordered that deal, I'd spend many minutes carefully trimming all the white colored fat and stuff off of the red meat, took a fair amount of time to get it done. Put all that stuff over off on the side off the plate to discard it and then finally "time to eat". Back on the farm they'd refer to that stuff as "cracklings".

Anyhow, the cabin crew was SEA-TAC based, IIRC the next day looking at their dates of hire on the DC-10's ACARS and they all exceeded any of ours. (18 May 60 here.) I distinctly remember the lead F/A looking at my plate and saying "Say, Captain, if you're not going to eat that, could I have it?" Sez I, "well, sure" and I watched her transfer those trimmings over to her plate. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my S/O sorta swallowing his saliva a few times, the F/O gagged and decided that he wasn't hunrgy and I was left with a severe case of head shakin'.

(This took a good amount of time to first type and then correct, never will forget flying with that Seattle crew.)

best, randy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG