AVSIG: Is the Pirep system broken? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Air Traffic Control

Pages: 1
nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
Is the Pirep system broken?
      #426470 - 06/04/16 01:10 AM

Doing some research.
Is the current Pirep system busted?
I use to like showing the FNGs high altitude flight watch. It's gone.
Do airline dispatchers consistently submit preps to the FAA so the info can be shared, or just keep the information within the company?
Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Is the Pirep system broken? [Re: nehoC hctiM]
      #426474 - 06/04/16 06:00 AM

We have a PIREP function in ACARS. We can both submit them and request them. Works pretty well.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #426476 - 06/04/16 09:04 AM

Mitch -- Less than 50% of pireps I give to ATC get into the system (i.e., are retrievable as UAs). I've heard (and perhaps the NTSB hearing will get into this in part) that there is a clunky/unworkable interface for ATC to submit a pirep to the flight service system (landline?). The rate of pireps given directly to FSS going into the system is higher, but still only about 80% in my experience.

Obviously this is low-altitude/FLIB perspective.

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
      #426478 - 06/04/16 09:33 AM

Yes. If you'd like about a two-hour rant on PIREPs and NOTAMs, I can hook you up with one of my guys that's running our PIREP forum in a couple of weeks...

Some companies are real good about passing along PIREPs from their crews, some practically treat them like proprietary information.

The ATC process for getting them out of the building is all over the place: frequently, "Controller writes info on paper, calls supe, hands to supe, supe takes to either the facility meteorologist (if any), or gives to the flight data guy (often other side of the room) to enter into the system. Or the supe might call FSS to pass it along, if they answer the phone fast enough to fit within his other duties."

It's not good...

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Is the Pirep system broken? [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #426488 - 06/04/16 11:41 AM

When flying single pilot, I may not always send in observations when weather is a challenge (I try). If the frequency is busy, I'll wait for the controller to ask if he want info from me. I certainly appreciate those that do report. May be difficult for me at times to be avoiding or flying through challenging stuff and reporting also. Losing the new easier high altitude FSS makes in a bit more challenging than just recalling the one freq and calling them.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #426504 - 06/04/16 07:27 PM

Quote:

Yes. If you'd like about a two-hour rant on PIREPs and NOTAMs, I can hook you up with one of my guys that's running our PIREP forum in a couple of weeks...

Some companies are real good about passing along PIREPs from their crews, some practically treat them like proprietary information.

The ATC process for getting them out of the building is all over the place: frequently, "Controller writes info on paper, calls supe, hands to supe, supe takes to either the facility meteorologist (if any), or gives to the flight data guy (often other side of the room) to enter into the system. Or the supe might call FSS to pass it along, if they answer the phone fast enough to fit within his other duties."

It's not good...

It's a mess with FSS in the air....I was talking to what's called "Cleveland Radio" in the vicinity of Sandusky today to give a pirep. "What's the identifier for Sandusky?" he asks...heck, he's Cleveland Radio, you'd think he'd know. Then he asks my destination. "What's the identifier for White Plains?" he asks. Must be a new guy, probably doesn't know Teterboro or Bedford, either. He finally got the pirep mostly right after we played the preliminary 20 question game.

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Is the Pirep system broken? [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #426520 - 06/04/16 11:50 PM

Lovely. We're lucky it hasn't been outsourced to Bangalore yet...

nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
      #426522 - 06/05/16 01:19 AM

Quote:

Lovely. We're lucky it hasn't been outsourced to Bangalore yet...

Some thread drift.
The people of Bangalore were successful in suing and removing sat photos of their hood from showing with Google searches.

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3093

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG