AVSIG: Cheap Inkjet Printer? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
Re: Cheap Inkjet Printer? [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #420514 - 01/08/16 01:08 PM

I have had a bad experience with my Brother HL-3170 cdw color laser printer. IT will not print, even in black, if any of the toner cartridges are empty, even with a new black cartridge. There used to be a workaround to reset it when a cartridge was running low, but that was removed in the latest firmware. I am trashing it and buying a Samsung which costs ($99.00) less than a set of the generic cartridges for the brother. It will print in black with an empty color cartridge so I am told. The Samsung is also reviewed as having an easier wireless hookup procedure, never could get the Brother on my network. I plan to go to the trouble and mess of refilling my cartridges, just so I don't have to deal with the toner and ink bandits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Cheap Inkjet Printer? [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #420518 - 01/08/16 06:32 PM

Scott,

I've had a Canon PIXMA iP2702 for a while now, it was dirt cheap (~$40.00 @ Amazon), prints even if the black ink is out (it has the minimal 2 cartridges). I've never used it for photos, regular printing is fine, if a little slow. Unfortunately, ya can't get it anymore :-(

There's a newer version, the PIXMA iP2820, available at Amazon for $41.00, no USB A-B cable though. YMMV...

As to other PIXMA printers, I have an iP6700D that requires 6 (expensive) carts, and all have to be functional or ya can't print anything. Otherwise known as a complete PITA, apparently others here have had better luck. I use the iP2702 <g>

jb

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Cheap Inkjet Printer? [Re: Jim Bell]
      #420519 - 01/08/16 07:10 PM

Thanks, Jim, I ordered the Brother that Mase recommended and it's supposed to arrive today (like there's any rush, early Feb would have been fine). If it works pretty well I may pass it on to my daughter who is still making do with a $29 inkjet that I got here for college 7 or so years ago.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4404

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG