AVSIG: Helicopter with robotic legs avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Robinson

Pages: 1
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Helicopter with robotic legs
      #415572 - 09/20/15 12:29 PM

I know very little about helicopters but this looks pretty cool...

https://youtu.be/NnN9cxY9Y-o

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #415573 - 09/20/15 12:36 PM

Certainly would solve a problem if they could properly sense and keep the rotor fairly level. Still, one had four legs which would provide four separate landing points. Skids distributed weight over a larger area for landing on softer surfaces.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #415587 - 09/20/15 06:48 PM

In theory, a helicopter would be more stable in hover if the rotor were on the bottom. If it had about eight of those legs, maybe they could dance around the blades <g>.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #415595 - 09/20/15 08:39 PM

Quote:

In theory, a helicopter would be more stable in hover if the rotor were on the bottom. If it had about eight of those legs, maybe they could dance around the blades <g>.

Interesting. Might be difficult to load infantry guys on that when running :) Is that because of ground effect?

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #415596 - 09/20/15 09:00 PM

Quote:

Is that because of ground effect?

No, swashplate geometry. Moving the cyclic stick tilts the swashplate, and that varies blade pitch in the correct sequence to make the rotor disk parallel to the plate.

Say the fuselage makes an uncommanded pitch-down movement. The swashplate tilts along with it, tilting the rotor disk forward and producing a forward force component at the top of the mast -- which pitches the fuselage further forward.

Now put the rotor on the bottom. A pitch-down movement still rotates the swashplate forward, the rotor still tilts forward, and still produces a forward force component -- but it's acting below the CG and tends to pitch the fuselage up.

It would also demand a different control technique. With the rotor on top, to get into forward flight, you make a forward stick movement and then relax most of it; with the rotor on the bottom, you'd have to move the stick aft first, then move it slightly forward of center. Much like riding a unicycle.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Loc: 9S1
Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #415603 - 09/20/15 11:41 PM

Quote:

No, swashplate geometry. Moving the cyclic stick tilts the swashplate, and that varies blade pitch in the correct sequence to make the rotor disk parallel to the plate.

Say the fuselage makes an uncommanded pitch-down movement. The swashplate tilts along with it, tilting the rotor disk forward and producing a forward force component at the top of the mast -- which pitches the fuselage further forward.

Ralph,

This may be semantics, but the swash plate doesn't move the rotor disk, it changes the pitch in the rotor blades based on input received through the intermixing bell crank from the cyclic/collective. This change in pitch tilts the rotor disk.

I don't see the point in the legs. They would just add weight. I've landed on slopes numerous times where the tips of the main rotor blades were no more than three feet off the ground. Landing on slopes and pinnacles are non-issues for military pilots, it's what we do. :-))

Ralph looking forward to continuing our conversation about the swash plate. :-))

I never thought much about the rotor disk being on the bottom other than when doing a split-S in a Cobra. Seemed like it worked just like it did when it was on top. :-)))

the other bill

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Helicopter with robotic legs [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #415605 - 09/21/15 08:37 AM

Quote:

This may be semantics, but the swash plate doesn't move the rotor disk, it changes the pitch in the rotor blades based on input received through the intermixing bell crank from the cyclic/collective. This change in pitch tilts the rotor disk.

That's pretty much what I said. The cyclic and collective sticks tilt (and elevate) the lower swashplate and the upper swashplate translates that orientation into the rotating reference frame of the rotor. The actual variation of blade pitch is controlled by pushrods and bellcranks attached to the upper swashplate, and the rotor then tilts into the swashplate's orientation.

In other words, the swashplate doesn't move the rotor disk, but tells it where to move itself.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6015

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG