Warning: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/aerofarm/web/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 155
AVSIG: Windows 10 wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Cole Loftus [C89]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Windows 10 [Re: Mike Overly]
      #421144 - 01/25/16 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The privacy concerns are real.

Counterpoint: It's not privancy, it's analytics
Revealed! The crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Quote:

Win 10 is more backwardly compatible with everything I run than any version of Windows before it.

I'm guessing you're running 32-bit Windows? Last I knew, 16-bit programs were still a no-go for 64-bit Windows. Or has that changed?

At first I thought that article was a spoof, but apparently the guy's serious. If you read through the default things MS wants collect to enhance your experience and you're fine with it, well, fine.

I'm running 64-bit, but I haven't had any problem emulating older environments via DOSbox. Here's an article with a few strategies depending on what you're trying to run.

It's a question of trust. My trust is limited, when it comes to a company that's uploading Windows 10 installation files to customers with Windows 7 or 8, without asking or notifying, and taking away a customer's ability to control the timing and selection of which updates to install.

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on this machine, and I'll keep it as long as I can. I'm also running GWX Control Panel and Spybot Anti-Beacon occasionally. So far that's doing the job for me.

For my portable, I'm looking for 8.1 Pro install media that's over a year old, to get around automatic installation of certain updates. I have a license, but not the media that I want.

Eventually I may have to consider a hardware-based firewall to block traffic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Windows 10 [Re: Cole Loftus [C89]]
      #421145 - 01/25/16 09:12 PM

Quote:

It's a question of trust. My trust is limited,

Things change, but I can't remember Microsoft being anything but a over-eager software company. I can't remember any instance of them being interested in your data.

OTOH, Google packages you up for delivery to advertisers. They're primarily an information company.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Windows 10 [Re: Russell Holton]
      #421166 - 01/26/16 02:27 AM

Quote:

Things change, but I can't remember Microsoft being anything but a over-eager software company.

Sorta seems like calling King Kong a rather large gorilla <g>

jb

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Windows 10 [Re: Jim Bell]
      #421169 - 01/26/16 02:53 AM

Quote:

Sorta seems like calling King Kong a rather large gorilla <g>

Either way, they're not a Ferengi. <g>

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#421171 - 01/26/16 04:01 AM

Quote:

Either way, they're not a Ferengi. <g>

Now that would be an unfair comparison, they're certainly not like this...

"They and their culture are characterized by a mercantile obsession with profit and trade, and their constant efforts to swindle unwary customers into unfair deals."

Hmmm... Nah ;-) Yeah, right...

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (01/26/16 04:37 AM)

Cole Loftus [C89]
Top Gun

#421172 - 01/26/16 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a question of trust. My trust is limited,

Things change, but I can't remember Microsoft being anything but a over-eager software company. I can't remember any instance of them being interested in your data.

OTOH, Google packages you up for delivery to advertisers. They're primarily an information company.

Whether a company's interested or not can be a very small factor these days. Any data collection can draw flies. And Microsoft seems to be changing. It used to be about revenue streams. Lately control seems to be a priority, and I don't particularly care for what's now going on behind the curtain.

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
Re: Windows 10 [Re: Jim Bell]
      #421177 - 01/26/16 06:21 AM

>>>Now that would be an unfair comparison, they're certainly not like this...<<<

Thanks for that reality check, Jim....<G>

- Reams-

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG