AVSIG: Japanese Surrender wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aviation History

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Richard Palm (PAO)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: PUDBY
Re: Japanese Surrender [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #408741 - 05/10/15 01:51 AM

The video that is usually shown is only an excerpt. This is the first time I've seen the complete newsreel. Thanks for the link!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #408761 - 05/10/15 03:28 PM

I've also learned that my midshipman battleship, USS Wisconsin, was much closer for the surrender ceremony. But, you know which State our President was from -thus a different BB and perhaps a delay of one day?

Regards,

Dux

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #408808 - 05/11/15 10:50 AM

Quote:

Anne posted:
Here is a film. You can hear MacArthur's voice on it.
It is a 'must see' for the WWII history buff or anyone interested in history.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vcnH_kF1zXc

Hi Anne,
Thanks for posting that. That was a singularly amazing event. No fanfare, just git-r-done. Must ‘a been some humiliating, humble pie for the Japanese contingent. Too bad. An obscene number of people perished to get to that point.
I wonder if that uncomfortable part of history is glossed over to any extent in the elementary education of Japanese school children. Seems that’s what’s happening in Germany and perhaps elsewhere?

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Japanese Surrender [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #408810 - 05/11/15 11:11 AM

Quote:

Seems that’s what’s happening in Germany and perhaps elsewhere?

On our visit to Hitler's mountaintop chalet (known in Germany as the Kehlsteinhaus and as the Eagle's Nest everywhere else), we found the tour guides were entirely upfront.

But that attitude is not universal. They have a problem with people called Hitlerpilger (Hitler pilgrims) who walk up the hiking trail during the night and leave flowers and love notes on the remains of his main house, the Berghof...first thing the caretakers do in the morning is to remove them.

More recently I heard there was a convention hotel being built on the Berghof site.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Japanese Surrender [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #408820 - 05/11/15 01:33 PM

Quote:

I wonder if that uncomfortable part of history is glossed over to any extent in the elementary education of Japanese school children. Seems that’s what’s happening in Germany and perhaps elsewhere?

Maybe. It wouldn't surprise me. They're having difficulty coming to terms with pressing women into service as "comfort women" (prostitutes for the military) during the war.

The Prime Minister can't attend a war memorial without creating political problems.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4547

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG