AVSIG: Flight Training Devices wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Flight Training Devices
      #406421 - 03/23/15 12:49 PM Attachment (155 downloads)

Randy sent me some information about the first flight training devices and simulators he encountered in his career. I'm currently in B737 initial in Houston at what is now one of the two United Airlines training centers. It was previously the Continental Airlines training center. At the center they have some pictures of some very old training devices but they are not labeled. I couldn't figure out what this one was and neither could Randy from just my description.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #406422 - 03/23/15 12:53 PM Attachment (163 downloads)

Here's another picture from the training center. It looks like some kind of training device to teach the operation of the engine and related systems. Nothing like this around the center anymore. At this level there is an assumption that we already know how a turbine engine works and the training philosophy has long since changed from "teaching how to built it" to teaching what you need to operate it.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#406423 - 03/23/15 12:58 PM Attachment (162 downloads)

Here's one of the current training devices. It is one of three B737 FTDs in the Houston center. This is the oldest of the three and the only one which does not include visuals. The FTDs are used as procedure training prior to full-flight simulator training. Everything works and they can be flown just like the airplane. The syllabus has us completing flights from aircraft power-up through power-down at the destination.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#406424 - 03/23/15 01:00 PM Attachment (149 downloads)

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #406425 - 03/23/15 01:07 PM

Larry,

Very nice, thanks for sharing. :-)

the other bill

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#406426 - 03/23/15 01:13 PM Attachment (156 downloads)

Here's a YouTube video, which may have been posted before, from 1969. It's a promotional film describing United Airlines flight training showing what was then the brand new training center at Denver's Stapleton airport.

https://youtu.be/sCmvIsfXATA

Stapleton Airport is long gone but the United Airlines training center (Known internally as DENTK) is still there. Both my interview and first two weeks of training (Indoc) was at DENTK and much of it looks exactly like it did in the film, though you'll see far fewer suits in the hallways (unless they are conducting interviews that day).

Most of the center is original from 1968 though there is a new wing with more classrooms and sim bays. The new wing is connected to the original building by an elevated walkway. I took the following two pictures from that walkway. One shows the original Stapleton control tower, now surrounded by businesses and apartment buildings. The other is oriented in the other direction and shows some of the original buildings.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#406427 - 03/23/15 01:14 PM Attachment (148 downloads)

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #406428 - 03/23/15 01:17 PM

Quote:

Very nice, thanks for sharing. :-)

the other bill

Now how did I know that you'd be the first to reply, Bill? LOL!

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#406429 - 03/23/15 01:36 PM

United, after the recent merge with Continental, has two training centers--DENTK and the former CAL center in IAH (IAHPS). They intend to consolidate into a single training facility but neither of the existing center is large enough so both of the existing facilities will be replaced by a new combined facility. UAL is set to announce the decision on the location of this new center in the coming weeks. The choice is between Denver, Houston, and Chicago (home of UAL's corporate headquarters).

It's difficult to imagine the logistics of moving all of these simulators to a new facility while training must continue. UAL is already renting simulators outside of their facilities in Las Vegas, Atlanta, and Miami. The 737 is the largest fleet and has six simulators in IAHPS and they contracting out to use additional 737 sims at Pan AM and Boeing in MIA and Boeing in Atlanta.

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
      #406430 - 03/23/15 01:41 PM

Quote:

Now how did I know

yrraL, hard to tell cuz the photo's sorta blurry but you'd mentioned no one seems to know, 4 engined and I'm pretty sure the old 3 pointer altimeter, I've sent it to a couple old chums, my guess is a 70 or a 720 but I sure dunno, I'll put on here what they say.

Looking at those photos of the old UAL training center, I can almost picture Carl Wood in 1962 telling us about his type rating in the Caravelle during that FAA experiment with sim. training.

Am going to include a paragraph excerpt here of that article I was writing:
-------------
In 1962 I was taken off line pilot status into North Central Airline’s flight training office. A short time later - in the fall of that year - we attended the first annual airline flight training symposium. United Airlines sponsored it at its Denver training facility and it was attended by the flight training managers from all the US airlines. During that event, I recall listening to UAL’s chief flight instructor describing his recent flight training in the Caravelle simulator. He’d received his type rating on it as a result of an FAA experiment with all training being accomplished in the simulator. This experiment predated the FAA’s ultimate approval of this process by about twenty-five years. The next year, Trans World Airlines sponsored this meeting at their Kansas City facilities. That year I saw a TWA 707 simulator with an attachment (mounted sideways on a wall adjacent to the simulator) consisting of a model railroad-like miniature scenario of scale houses/barns, trees, streets, etc. By means of a small camera this scene was made visible to the pilot while flying an ILS approach. This archaic endeavor probably represented one of the earliest attempts to provide a visual depiction to pilots undergoing simulator flight training. Prior to this the flight training had been conducted solely in the actual airplane.
----------

best, randy

Edited by Randy Sohn (03/23/15 01:55 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14481

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG