AVSIG: Piper's Diesel Archer wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Piper

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Piper's Diesel Archer
      #404711 - 02/21/15 02:21 AM Attachment (263 downloads)

Archer DX

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Edited by Mase Taylor (02/21/15 02:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #404722 - 02/21/15 12:52 PM

Mase T:

The Archer has always been one of my favorites, and I sold a few of them. I'm also a big fan of anything that burns jet fuel. OTOH, I wonder. It kinda seems to me that the extra expense of such an engine is hard to recoup in a smallish airplane. I have a friend who flies hundreds of hours per year doing high-tech aerial photography under contract. He owns/operates/flies his own C-210, goes through engines rapidly, and his been hoping for a diesel engine for years. The ones he has looked at, however, just don't pay off in his in his opinion. He--and I--keep hoping the prices will drop.
What sayeth you and the other AVSIG experts? I haven't seen the extra price and performance on the Archer. Is this the one?

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #404727 - 02/21/15 02:29 PM

Ralph - The Cessna and Piper diesels being produced are mostly for the overseas market where Avgas just isn't available (e.g., Africa). There's been a fair bit of analysis by Paul Bertorelli about the economics of diesels in domestic use, whether traffic watch or otherwise, and they're not there yet financially given our avgas situation.

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #404736 - 02/21/15 03:26 PM

Quote:

Ralph H. posted:
I have a friend who flies hundreds of hours per year doing high-tech aerial photography under contract. He owns/operates/flies his own C-210

Hi Ralph,
Who dat? Can you say? I might know’m.
High-tech aerial imaging/data collection . . . Dat’s what I done did for many a year. In fact I knew a guy out of Ormond Beach, FL who independently owned and flew a C-210 for mapping.

Concur with what Scott D. said as to driving forces for Jet-A, be it diesel or turbine. That’s what really drove sales of turbine AG aircraft in South America and elsewhere, ie: unavailability of avgas.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (anyone remember a unique smell of burned red 80 octane?)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #404751 - 02/21/15 06:55 PM

Tom C:

The guy's name is Bill; Broadway from Huntsville, AL, where I used to live. I now live in East TN. Bill stops by about every other month when he's coming back from, shooting pics of a stockpile of something somewhere NE of here. He also does lidar (sp?) work and other aerial photo work. I'd bet that if you asked him at coffee how many of those Continental engines he's been through he couldn't tell you to save his neck. He knows that airplane and that engine!
He used to work for Atlantic Aerial Survey (or sumpin' like that) then went on his own decades ago.
His industry has been greatly changed by GPS, lidar and other technology, of course.

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #404752 - 02/21/15 06:57 PM

Scott D:

Thanks for all that info. Makes total sense now that you've 'splained it.

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #404784 - 02/21/15 11:50 PM

Quote:

The guy's name is Bill; Broadway from Huntsville, AL, where I used to live. I now live in East TN. Bill stops by about every other month when he's coming back from, shooting pics of a stockpile of something somewhere NE of here. He also does lidar (sp?) work and other aerial photo work. I'd bet that if you asked him at coffee how many of those Continental engines he's been through he couldn't tell you to save his neck. He knows that airplane and that engine!
He used to work for Atlantic Aerial Survey (or sumpin' like that) then went on his own decades ago.
His industry has been greatly changed by GPS, lidar and other technology, of course.

Hi Ralph,
Yup, I remember Bill Broadway! Didn’t know him real well. It’s a small industry and eventually everybody knows everybody. If I recall correctly we may have helped Bill get set up initially with the Aerial Mapping specific GPS navigation flight planning software.

“LiDAR” with a small “i” is the way it’s typically written these days. Amazing technology that I’m intimately familiar with! An early LiDAR project that I flight planned was a large area around Huntsville.

I’ve dealt with Atlantic Aerial Surveys a number of times over the years. They were eventually bought out by some large Canadian firm resulting in many disgruntled employees as I recall. Number of years back I hired a Camera Systems Operator who’d previously worked there. (Eventually had to fire him<ng>)

Done burned through my share of Continentals also<g>/<ng> The crew at Ada, OK improved that situation bunches though.

Next time you see Bill tell him you know a guy retired from ACA in Orlando, FL.

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #404787 - 02/22/15 05:06 AM

I wonder about the feasibility of running one on mo-diesel?

But not sure what Jet A/A-1 is running these days.

Sounds like solar panels, payback is longer than the lifespan of the panels. :)

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #404800 - 02/22/15 09:42 AM

Here in east Tennessee we can get all the whiskey free mogas we want, for the 80 oct crowd.

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Piper's Diesel Archer [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #404815 - 02/22/15 02:40 PM

Tom C:

I'll definitely tell Bill you said hello. It is a small world, after all.!

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9291

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG