AVSIG: Question for You Army Rotorheads wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Robinson

Pages: 1
Stephanie Belser
Top Gun APC

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: KFAM
Question for You Army Rotorheads
      #394469 - 07/29/14 04:16 PM

Why did these four Blackhawks lift off from the ramp, line up on the active, and then depart from there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_57gl5RZ28

KFAM's an uncontrolled airport. They could have just left from the ramp and nobody would have said a peep.

--------------------
What the hell is an "aluminum falcon"?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Question for You Army Rotorheads [Re: Stephanie Belser]
      #394480 - 07/29/14 06:07 PM

Maybe they didn't want to go outside the noise footprint of the customary fixed-wing traffic.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #394497 - 07/29/14 10:51 PM

It is a formation flight. This is how it would be organized on the runway. When flying out of MMAF in SE Asia we might have 20 slicks lined up on the runway, just like these four were, nose to tail and everyone depart at once in one big flight. As soon as the slicks were up the guns would do the same thing and join up with slicks with the guns evenly divided on each side of the formation of slicks. When taking off or landing it is much easier to fly in a trail formation. I never flew a multi ships insertion that was not in "straight" trail.

When helicopters are flying into an airport (controlled or not) it will land/depart on the runway just like an airplane and follow the taxiways just like an airplane unless otherwise instructed by ATC. I've been into a lot of large airports such as KDAL, KOKC, KTUL in helicopters and I always landed on the runway and followed a taxiway to parking.

the other bill

Edited by Bill Bridges - T47 (07/29/14 10:54 PM)

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Question for You Army Rotorheads [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #394507 - 07/30/14 04:12 AM

Quote:

When helicopters are flying into an airport (controlled or not) it will land/depart on the runway just like an airplane and follow the taxiways just like an airplane unless otherwise instructed by ATC.

That is pretty much what I thought

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #395177 - 08/12/14 12:47 PM

Quote:

Steph wrote:
Why did these four Blackhawks lift off from the ramp, line up on the active, and then depart from there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_57gl5RZ28
KFAM's an uncontrolled airport. They could have just left from the ramp and nobody would have said a peep.

Hi Steph,
Denn das ist der richtige Weg, es zu tun, und das ist die Art, wie wir immer tun!

Google translation from: Because this is the proper way to do it, and this is the way we always will do it!<g>

When I was flying out of KISM we typically departed from and arrived direct to and from the hanger area or close by. We followed the example set by the sheriff’s operation right next to us.<g> You do need to use some discretion though.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (who’s not sling-wing rated but has sampled the forbidden fruit)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Loc: 9S1
Re: Question for You Army Rotorheads [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #395188 - 08/12/14 03:39 PM

Quote:

When I was flying out of KISM we typically departed from and arrived direct to and from the hanger area or close by. We followed the example set by the sheriff’s operation right next to us.<g> You do need to use some discretion though.

Funny thing about the Army, you do it by the book or you get to explain to 5 of your fellow Army aviators (FEB) why you should not spend the remainder of your shortened Army career in the infantry. :-))

As I have said before WTF do I know I was in the Army. :-))

the other bill
(who only did about 500 multi-ship (5 or more) formations)

Edited by Bill Bridges - T47 (08/12/14 03:40 PM)

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Question for You Army Rotorheads [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #395194 - 08/12/14 05:05 PM

Say Villie, tems got wheels. Why didn't tey just roll out?

I did it both ways. As Bill said, mostly followed a conventional pattern, but many a time I was cleared direct to an FBO (like going into Charlotte one Friday evening) in front of a conga line of fixed wing AC. Normally planned a conventional pattern at an uncontrolled field for all the normal reasons. If it was clear the field had no traffic in it, we might take a short cut here and there ;)

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: Question for You Army Rotorheads [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #395222 - 08/13/14 08:46 AM

Seemed like around 1980, the FAA went to, everyone had to use the runway, then taxi in like an airplane. I thought that they were more of a hazard, blowing stuff around, than when they just did discretion to the ramp.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG