AVSIG: KBZN wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
KBZN
      #393039 - 06/29/14 11:43 PM

I'm need'n to push back and a supervisor with a clipboard has apparently lost his mine. :-)

It appears the only guy who knows what's going on is the one sweeping the ramp. :-)

the other bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: KBZN [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #393063 - 06/30/14 08:22 PM

Ah BZN Montana

Located on what I seem to remember in the Galiton Gap Southwest from Billings.

Long runway -but not too wide.

One of my first trips as a new B-727 Captain and a night landing (good weather).

Well, we stopped well short of the end and I turned off right -only to find immediate signs of a closed taxiway.

Oops, -we talked a bit and decided that if we could do powerbacks , we could power back to the runway and then go to the open taxiway. No traffic at all at the airport.

So we did that, and nobody seemed to notice, perhaps thinking it was just some minor reverse stuff on the runway?

OK, did not mention that to the Chief Pilot (which after a bit more experience and the startup of the ASAP program I would have submitted for sure). Circa 1986?

Had a long overnight with the crew -and did not leave until the next afternoon -again back to Billings/MSP/ORD/MSP.

Mountain flying with Northwest was part of the game. In good weather it was special stuff -and in bad weather, ..well just know where the mountains are during approach and departures. Ah, Bozeman, Billings, Butte, Eagle Colorado, GTF, and a lot more. Oh of course the Capital, Helena. Forgot the name of the big airport that was home for the smoke jumpers and University.

I think the best mountain aircraft for Northwest was the L-188, but I just missed the copilot class and was a 727 FE. Bad luck-since I was coming from a USN P-3 assignment.

Regards,

Dux

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: KBZN [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #393778 - 07/13/14 06:29 PM

And by strange coincidence, I am remote from FL.400 50 north of CYQA, enrout to KBZN ( after a quick turn at KFAR.)

This CJ-4 has some really good options, including WIFI.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
Re: KBZN [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #393787 - 07/14/14 12:46 AM

Quote:

And by strange coincidence, I am remote from FL.400 50 north of CYQA, enrout to KBZN ( after a quick turn at KFAR.)

This CJ-4 has some really good options, including WIFI.

Imagine how many minds would've been blown if this thread had been dropped into AVSIG of the early 80s.

It's pretty mind blowing even today.

Mac

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
      #393791 - 07/14/14 01:02 AM

>>50 north of CYQA, enrout to KBZN ( after a quick turn at KFAR.)<<

Interesting route... ?
Muskoka really isn't on the way from Fargo to Bozeman....<g>
But that side of the lake is full of liquid landing zones this time of year...

- Reams -

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Re: KBZN [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #393793 - 07/14/14 07:13 AM

We came from Laconia after the race. I should have said enroute to BZN with a stop at Fargo for fuel.

Now sitting waiting for the 6 am Delta flight toward home, via MSP, that's really not much on the way..... :-)

First time for a pre-check ticket! Much easier through TSA.

--------------------
Jeff

Edited by Jeff Hartmann (EQY/SVH) (07/14/14 07:18 AM)

Rod Madsen (RDU)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: RDU, NC
      #393805 - 07/14/14 11:14 AM

My wife and I had Pre-Check passes the last two time we flew. We didn't request them. What's up with that?

--------------------
Rod

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: KBZN [Re: Rod Madsen (RDU)]
      #393811 - 07/14/14 04:33 PM

Quote:

My wife and I had Pre-Check passes the last two time we flew. We didn't request them. What's up with that?

Part of a TSA selection process, most likely.

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/likelihood-receiving-tsa-precheck

I signed up (and paid for) Global Entry (which gets you into TSA Pre-check too) a little over a year ago. Every time I pass through security, it feels like 1997 again! Easily the best $100 I've spent in a long time. The $100 clears you for 5 years.

At the rate I've been going, I'm already down to a tiny $2.50 per flight for my fee. For the many minutes and amount of frustration I've avoided, well, well worth it! Every additional flight for the next 4 years reduces that per cost fee even more.

Not that I want to volunteer to pay more, but I'd gladly pay $10 a flight. I just can't stand the normal TSA process of removing shoes and belt, and pulling laptop out of my bag, all while feeling the burning eyes of those behind you. Now I zip through with the fastest crowd. I've only had one trip in the last year where I was on a non-participating airline, and could not use Pre-check.

John

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Re: KBZN [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #393815 - 07/14/14 05:10 PM

I just printed SouthWest tickets for tomorrow....only it says they are security documents not tickets...(we are checking bags anyway, probably should have saved the ink) anyway, they say "TSA Pre" on them. Maybe I will walk through again.

I'm sure yrral swonk. (knows)

--------------------
Jeff

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #393821 - 07/14/14 06:58 PM

Quote:

...they say "TSA Pre" on them. Maybe I will walk through again.

Yep, if the tickets are marked, you can go directly to the Pre-check lines and prepare to leave your shoes and belt on, and your laptop in its care, as well as you can leave your liquids bag in your suitcase (but if you are checking, this probably isn't an issue for you).

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7009

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG