AVSIG: Mooney Mite avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Mooney

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
Mooney Mite
      #392920 - 06/27/14 03:59 PM

Does anyone know if there are any Mooney Mites still around? It was a tiny little thing, and for awhile the old National Aviation Underwriters reps flew them all over.

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Mooney Mite [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #392926 - 06/27/14 04:46 PM

Think I've seen a couple at OSH.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #392931 - 06/27/14 04:56 PM

http://www.mooneymite.com/sales.htm

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #392936 - 06/27/14 05:41 PM

Another one for sale $12k

YouTube going Around The PAttern

Edited by Mase Taylor (06/27/14 05:45 PM)

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
Re: Mooney Mite [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #393018 - 06/29/14 03:13 PM

Ralph J, Jeff and Mase:

Thanks to all y'all!
Must be more of them left that I imagined. I've only seen one in my life, and that was at Epps at PDK in the 1960s or 1970s.
Thanks again,

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #393035 - 06/29/14 08:39 PM

I flew one around 1970 or so, was supposed to deliver it from Miami to New York. They did an annual and found some bad wood. Sale cancelled.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: Mooney Mite [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #393036 - 06/29/14 09:29 PM

Quote:

I flew one around 1970 or so, was supposed to deliver it from Miami to New York. They did an annual and found some bad wood. Sale cancelled.

The last time I saw one was late '60s' at T47 and the tail was a little cattywampus. :-)

They always looked like they would be fun to fly.

the other bill

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: Mooney Mite [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #402994 - 01/23/15 08:28 PM

Quote:

They always looked like they would be fun to fly

They were, the one I flew (M-18C) some had a Continental, IIRC some also had Lycomings (M-18L). Little flag semiphore thing that waggled in your face to warn of the gear not being down. Also the trim as I recall was connected to the flaps so you got some when you lowered flaps. Again, IIRC, it delivered over 2 MPH per 1 horsepower. Last one I saw was a few years ago over in a hangar at Flying Cloud.

best, randy

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
      #403137 - 01/25/15 12:03 AM

There's one hanging from the ceiling in the Air and Space Museum near Dulles...

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #403145 - 01/25/15 03:50 AM

Quote:

Ralph H. posted:
Mooney Mites

Hi Ralph,

Reminds me of a time, way back, long about 1967 or there bouts. Just out of the Air Force I had me a job working at the very small Herron Airport at the northern tip of West Virginia. Herron Airport is one of those WV airports where they level off the top of a hill as best they can with steep drop offs at each end. Had . . . still has, a county road that crosses over the middle of the runway. Mow ‘n grass, pump ‘n gas and brush ‘n dope on fabric covered airplanes. Earl Herron was giving me flight instruction toward my Commercial. He hired me to work while I built up flying time in a bunch of his typical small airport airplanes including the Piper Tri-Pacer that I used for my Commercial.

So anyhow, one fine afternoon, me ’n my buddy Butch Schroder who also worked there were lookin’ at the Mooney Mite out in the big hangar. It belonged to Jim Shannon, the aircraft mechanic, who was working over in his workshop hangar. So me n Butch got ta think ‘n, well it was Butch’s idea, if we each grabbed hold of a wing tip, bet the two of us could lift this here Mite clean off the ground. Sure nuff, we discovered with some strain ’n, we dammed sure could lift it! So we came up er . . . I mean Butch came up with another idea. Let’s get those old airplane tires over there, put em under the wings, then we can pick up the Mooney, retract the gear, and ease it down onto the tires. Jim will think its real funny! Well, the good news was, there was only the two of us and it would have taken a third person to reach in the cockpit and retract the gear. Well I guess the other good news was us git ’n some smarts t’ward the end think ’n maybe good old Jim the mechanic might not ’a thought it was as funny as we did. Visions of box end wrenches being flung at us as we would’a been run’n down off the hill.

Sure do wish I’d stayed in touch with Jim n Butch. Understand Jim is long gone and I can’t seem to find any trace of Butch.

Over the years I’ve come across several Mites. Was/is a cute little bugger. Any flying today most likely will have had an extensive rebuild of the wooden wing structure.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (who surprisingly never did have an opportunity to fly a Mooney . . . Mite or otherwise)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12082

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG