AVSIG: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #364063 - 03/04/13 10:36 AM

Since I've moved over to a Mac Mini for my general computing I have four Dell PCs gathering dust.

Given that, and this conversation, I've decided to load a fresh copy of Win7 on my Precision workstation, the one with the dual head video card, and have ordered a copy of FSX to replace my old FS 2004.

Next step, order all those MegaSceneryEarth photorealistic add-ins they've been offering recently ...

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #364068 - 03/04/13 11:42 AM

Enjoy, Tom! There are some updates to FSX, don't recall off-hand if there are 1 or 2, be sure to install 'em. Also, fastest CPU wins the sim race, the vid card is important, but not the main deal. But you knew that <g> I downloaded a coupla of the MegaScenery 2 packages over the weekend, NJ is improved some, haven't really explored whatever else I got yet <g> Don't have too high an expectation about it, it's fun though.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #364196 - 03/06/13 02:52 PM

Tom,

Just got an email from MegaScenery, they've finished all of the U.S. East of the Mississippi. Special deal:

"As a way to mark that milestone, we are offering a celebratory discount of 72 hour 20% discount promo off ALL MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 states from 12 noon Wed 6 March through to 12 noon Saturday 9 March USA Eastern time."

Link:

http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #364542 - 03/10/13 12:22 PM

Bill,

If I may ask, what sort of add-on scenery do you use? I've been playing around with my stuff, disabling things etc., and discovered I have a *bunch* of stuff that's probably either layered wrong, or completely unnecessary <g> I'll be running FSX on the new HP, W7P 64, just thinking ahead, maybe look at some stuff at the sim shops, though no plans to start buying a bunch of new add-ons.

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #364557 - 03/10/13 03:15 PM

Jim,

I use the following add-on scenery:

FS Genesis
Aerosoft - PANC, KSFO and EGLL
FS Altitude - East/West USA
FS Dreamteam - KJFK, KDFW, KORD, PHNL, LRZH
ImageSim - VHHH
Fly Tampa - VHHX (Kai Tak)
ORBX - KJAC
GEX - North America for textures. Probably go to ORBX world textures when they come out later this year.
AES2012 - Weather sim
FSBuild - flight plans
Navigraph - updated FMC/navdata
FSUIPC - Registered (a must-have in my opinion)
Various Add-on Freeware especially from Ray Smith on Avsim to update some of the stock FSX airports.

There is a lot of very good freeware out there. I use ADE and SBuilderX to make/correct airports.

the other bill

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364562 - 03/10/13 03:47 PM

Thanks Bill! I have some of the same, be interested to see ORBX. I see you're an Aerosoft fan too, though some of what they brand was sometimes inconsistent. FSDreamteam too, ORD and IIRC, JFK (?) I know I had FSUIPC way back, will have to look through the backups. Hmmm, have Genesis too, only problem with the assortment is that some of 'em don't play well together (or it's my layering). Or, only have one good feature, like night lighting or somesuch. This go round I'm going to be more selective, plus, having read the current tips link that you posted, the sim will be on W7P 64, with many of the tweaks in the .cfg. Funny, reading the tips, it's been a while since I've been into the sim, remembered seeing, and trying many of those tweaks.

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #364585 - 03/10/13 08:23 PM

I layer my scenery by use with FS Altitude first then KDFW then PANC. I have my Add On Scenery file after my payware, but before the FSX default scenery.

On thing I do is I run ASE2012 through simconnect on a second machine. I do not overclock and whatever the recommended settings, I always take the more conservative setting. On my FSX machine I use the MS firewall and Security Essentials with my FSX file set to not be scaned.

the other bill

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364592 - 03/10/13 08:40 PM

Thanks again for the info Bill, I may even enjoy getting the sim set up again <g> Agree on the overclocking, I was tempted (I could also almost afford it) to have the Falcon build OCd by them. They'd do it, provided I went with the water cooling. I drew the line there <g>

Some good news as regards my .exe, installers etc. backups of all the payware, and most everything else sim related: found a labeled (!) box with all the optical backups. Cool :-)

Now, it'd be nice if HP would get on with the build, and get the box here sooner. Dang, I thought the web was all about instant gratification ;-)

jb

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #364614 - 03/10/13 11:29 PM

I did water cooling for a while...it was fun, but a pain in the ***. Drew the line at Peltier <g>.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #364618 - 03/10/13 11:50 PM Attachment (140 downloads)

>>Drew the line at Peltier<<

One of things I also enjoy here is how many times I need to google something on a given day <g> Yeah, OK, slap that on yer hottest CPU, could be interesting ;-)

Just did a quick search to see where that now 6+ yo Falcon box may stand, CPU-wise (X6800), and the eventually-to-get-here HP box (i7-3770K). And, sure enuf (pic below). And, no cooling required, unless, as I've read in some current posts, one gets the i7 up to the 4.5GHz range, where apparently FSX is quite sumpt'n to fly <g>

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11538

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG