Warning: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/aerofarm/web/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 155
AVSIG: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #364719 - 03/12/13 06:30 PM

Can you give me a few words on the general operation of Nvidia Inspector? Does it allow you to fiddle with a bunch of settings, or does it recommend settings or come with some presets you can try?

I'm not much on tweaking stuff endlessly.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago]
      #364720 - 03/12/13 06:42 PM

The link with explicit starting settings is here. Can't say they're perfect, and having just finished a clean re-install of XPP on the FSX box, can't tell ya what was right or wrong, no FSX, yet. But it sure was better than what I had going...

>>I'm not much on tweaking stuff endlessly. <<

I might have been at some point, now, nope. Just waiting for the new HP box, which will be the FSX box, to do anything with the sim. In the meantime, will install just the basic version w/updates on the clean XP install. It'll be interesting to see basic FSX, no add-ons!

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago]
      #364721 - 03/12/13 06:48 PM

Additionally, get the latest vid drivers, or at least what that link suggests, there's a minimum version for use with the utility. The drivers are at 314.07, for my card. Also, yeah, lots of settings in the utility, but the settings of interest are marked with suggested settings. Quick and easy to get started.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364729 - 03/12/13 10:03 PM Attachment (212 downloads)

And here's some fun, can't get the previous version.

"So, Mr. Backup, why don't you have that?"

"Because it's on the drive I just physically removed."

"It didn't occur to you that s*** happens?"

[Sounds described by witnesses as "popping" or like "car backfires"]

End interview transcript

If anyone has NVIDIA INSPECTOR V1.959, PM me, it worked...

EDIT: Got it working, .NET...

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (03/13/13 04:29 AM)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364739 - 03/12/13 11:18 PM

The brain re-engages: .NET popped into it, maybe saw that in the tips link, dunno. Duh. Current version of Nvidia Inspector is now functional.

.NET, Java, hmmm, the evil spawn of Satanic coders. How do they look Mom in the eye? ;-)

Now to see if the new look to the Inspector comports with the instructions in the initial link...

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364743 - 03/12/13 11:47 PM

OK, the good news:

Using the settings given here, in FSX, fresh install, updated with SP1, left all FSX settings stock except for resolution for my monitor, FPS to unlimited, and the instructions from the inspector link, it looks great. Not good, not sorta cool, absolutely great. No add-ons, no shimmer, no stutters, no BS.

I DID, in Nvidia Inspector, up the AA to 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x MS].

Buttah... Details, ask, good juju here, and BTW, stock FSX, pretty cool, at least the way it set up for me just now.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #364983 - 03/16/13 12:58 AM Attachment (195 downloads)

Bill,

Decided to install a little add-on stuff, one thing at a time, to see what's what, sorta do some testing before the new box gets here. Installed the MegaScenery SoCal (older) and the new v.2.0 NJ. Next was Aerosoft's Manhattan X, which is amazing scenery. Leastways I thought so, until I couldn't find the keys! So, I went to PC Aviator to see if I could recover them and see there's a new version of Manhattan X.

Well, the new version of Manhattan X is amazing, not the least of the reasons being that it's flyable too, given the density. Below are a coupla images, crushed from 1920x1200, that don't do it justice, but man, it really is sumpt'n. I seem to be using a lot of superlatives in this thread, especially about Nvidia Inspector, the tips document and the new Manhattan X (expensive, hadda get it though). Well, they are really cool, why not? <g>

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (03/16/13 04:35 AM)

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #364985 - 03/16/13 01:33 AM

Very nice Jim.

I'm always amazed at the talent in the FS world.
It's all I can do to go in and fix PASY using ADE. :)

the other bill

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#365105 - 03/18/13 04:04 AM

I was looking through the tips pages that MegaScenery offers, which pretty much explain (unintentionally) why some scenery doesn't play well, or in this case, looks its best, when used with others. The inspector and FSX guide settings work overall for me, the MegaScenery suggestions include this gem:

In your FSX.cfg file, change LOD_RADIUS from 4.5 to at least 7.0 or 8.0.

which, on my current setup guarantees an OOM error (out of memory for those not familiar with that) in 30 seconds or less ;-) The guide strongly suggests leaving it at 4.5, good advice. Additionally most of the other Mega suggestions are considerably different too. Now, if only FSX had a dynamic settings mode that'd seamlessly change as scenery boundaries were crossed...

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#367455 - 04/20/13 01:18 AM

Bill,

A brief update, got a GTX 660 card to replace the woefully inadequate GT 630 that was the only option on the new HP, the sim is really flying now :-)

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG