AVSIG: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
NVIDIA Inspector, wow...
      #363965 - 03/03/13 01:07 AM

Quick back story, haven't booted MS FSX in a long time, maybe 2 years, wanted to get back to it, just for fun this evening. Before I booted FSX, I thought I'd look at a few of the sim fora, see if things were the same ole, same ole, as in, annoying (they were). However, I did find something that caught my eye...

Some posts about an app called Nvidia Inspector, and more specifically, a short guide written by NickN, who, IIRC, is one of the principals of the GEX scenery stuff. Long story short: Never have I found a simpler way to get things in FSX set up so as to virtually eliminate "shimmer" AND provide a performance enhancement.

So, to the links:

Google nvidia inspector, pick a site that you feel comfortable with (there are many, and quite a few known-to-be-reputable, this is *not* an nvidia offering) download, scan, and install.

Then, go here to SimForums and follow the instructions explicitly. One extra note: hit the "Apply Settings" button after each change, just my deal there though.

Note this note on that settings page:

"8xS and above controls autogen SHIMMER and cockpit VC quality of high-end aircraft such as Flight1's Mustang"

Well, appears to control more'n that, settings above 8xS are what made my rig fly with some of the most demanding scenery I have, with nearly zero shimmer: Aerosoft's Manhattan, and the photorealistic SoCal MegaScenery. BTW, Aerosoft Manhattan is stunning, but quite a load on the box. For now, I'm using the 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS +4x MS] option. If I find better, I'll post, a simdouche I-have-cool-settings-you-don't type, I'm not;-)

For those that may have used nHancer in years past, no comparison, and it doesn't work with current nvidia drivers. Also note that the driver version for your nvidia card needs to be above 25x.xx.

Specs for my aging-but-still-nimble Falcon Northwest box are here. I'm doing this running XP Pro, all current updates. And no, not trying to play the sim fora type cool rig big swingin' **** deal, because the Falccon is old: I suspect that everyone reading this has a faster box and I'd expect even better results. And those settings made this one come alive with FSX. Elsewhere on my site I have daytime screenshots of Aerosoft Manhattan, beats me where I put 'em now though. I think of the site as a collection of pages, grown organically over time. Or, IOW, FUBAR, and I got me no intention of fixin' it ;-).

jb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #363985 - 03/03/13 11:34 AM

Jim,

The AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide for FSX is what I follow along with the recomendations in the PMDG aircraft manuals.

the other bill

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #363988 - 03/03/13 12:18 PM

Wow, it seems like only yesterday you were buying that new state of the art box. Tempus fugit.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #363996 - 03/03/13 01:10 PM

Bill,

Yep, way back I used that as a reference too. At some point I'd found some settings that worked great for my rig, my add-ons, couldn't get back there with the current nvidia drivers. This tool gave me a great starting spot again. It's pretty slick...

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #363997 - 03/03/13 01:16 PM

>> Wow, it seems like only yesterday you were buying that new state of the art box. Tempus fugit.<<

No lie there, just looked at the docs that came with it, order date was Dec. 30, 2006!!! IIRC, it took about 10 days. Still running well, time to do a drive replacement, at least the XPP drive (it's dual-boot with W7P). Of course, there are 3 brand new Seagates here that have been waiting on that chore for ~ 2.5 years, no excuse ;-) Ughhh, it's gonna take some time, adding even just the apps that I use on it, especially all the sim add-ons, plus a ton of video apps.

jb

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
      #364005 - 03/03/13 02:09 PM

>>Ughhh, it's gonna take some time<< Ghost is your friend...

Mac

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow... [Re: Mac Tichenor (DAL)]
      #364006 - 03/03/13 02:20 PM

>Ghost is your friend...<<

Yeah, but... I really think it's time for a clean install. I have an astonishing amount of crapola on it, some of which I look at and have no idea what it's there for <g> I'll treat the re-install as an exercise in patience. Uh-huh, you betcha, can't wait ;-)

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #364020 - 03/03/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Yep, way back I used that as a reference too

Jim,

It was just completed about a month ago with all the latest changes including Inspector???

the othe bill

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364022 - 03/03/13 07:25 PM

Bill,

>>It was just completed about a month ago with all the latest changes including Inspector???<<

Obviously not the current version, but I'm reasonably certain that earlier versions were available from AVSIM, and are probably on the XP box somewhere. Either that or it was my own compiled notes when I was a member there. I did download the new version, and just read it. Probably should have done that first, and noted the date, eh? ;-) NickN (Nick Needham) from GEX (the earlier link) also had a long running thread at the other site, that I definitely compiled for my own use. A very small part of that may have came out of the comparison page between GEX, UTX and default FSX that I'd put up. He felt that it could have looked much better, I asked how. Got some info, but it was too much work to redo, at that point, link to my page here. And yes, not reading the new guide, and knowing what it contains, puts me squarely in the simdouche category I was mocking <sigh> Instant karma? ;-)

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#364045 - 03/04/13 12:54 AM

Bill,

Updated my page to reflect the link you posted. Thanks for the headsup...

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11562

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG