AVSIG: Att: Bob H. - French Navy Wanted A-4 in 70s avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1
Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: INDIANA
Att: Bob H. - French Navy Wanted A-4 in 70s
      #341184 - 04/24/12 01:04 AM

Dear Bob,

I found out something interesting. The earlier Etendard was suppose to be a replaced with a version of the joint Jaguar, the Jaguar-M was ready. But it seems that the Jaguar-M was a flop. The French Navy had their hearts set on a proven design, one of the more modern A-4s or the A-7. Weight I guess killed the A-7; and the French government killed the A-4 (the FN used a LOT of chits in the 60s to get the F-8 over a hooked Mirage III) and so the French Navy had to settle for the less capable Super Etendard (ie it later became a good strike aircraft but only after a lot of modifications). Here is the link on the test of the A-4 on the FOCH. In a strange twist of fate. The Foch is still sailing and its main aircraft is the A-4. its main aircraft is the A-4. And the Brazilian Navy is the only navy with a carrier operating the A-4.

Finally, know any of the pilots from your PAXes days? And what the heck is the "catapult track cover deflector"?

Jack E. Hammond

BTW> Do USN and USMC pilots ever tire of messing with the minds of other nations deck crews or pilots. I mean really: A GARDEN HOSE! <GRIN>

Edited by Jack E. Hammond (04/24/12 01:23 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
Att: Bob H. - French Navy Wanted A-4 in 70s [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #341197 - 04/24/12 08:33 AM

Obviously a catapult track cover deflector exists to deflect the catapult
track cover. That leaves open the question of why the cover needs
deflecting.

For further information, see "The Gostak and the Doshes" by Dr. Miles
Breuer. The first paragraph of this Wikipedia article will convey the basic
idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gostak

In the Breuer story, the protagonist finds himself in a place where The
Gostak is the worshipped deity because He distims the Doshes. The whole
theology is built around the grammatical logic points in the Wikipedia
article and carried to the extremes of mindless pseudo-theology.

--------------------
Ray

"I went to work this morning, but couldn't remember why, so I retired." Wiley Miller

rheisner
AVSIG Member

Reged: 03/13/07
Loc: Southold, NY
Re: Att: Bob H. - French Navy Wanted A-4 in 70s [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #341204 - 04/24/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

Dear Bob,

I found out something interesting. The earlier Etendard was suppose to be a replaced with a version of the joint Jaguar, the Jaguar-M was ready. But it seems that the Jaguar-M was a flop. The French Navy had their hearts set on a proven design, one of the more modern A-4s or the A-7. Weight I guess killed the A-7; and the French government killed the A-4 (the FN used a LOT of chits in the 60s to get the F-8 over a hooked Mirage III) and so the French Navy had to settle for the less capable Super Etendard (ie it later became a good strike aircraft but only after a lot of modifications). Here is the link on the test of the A-4 on the FOCH. In a strange twist of fate. The Foch is still sailing and its main aircraft is the A-4. its main aircraft is the A-4. And the Brazilian Navy is the only navy with a carrier operating the A-4.

Finally, know any of the pilots from your PAXes days? And what the heck is the "catapult track cover deflector"?

Jack E. Hammond

BTW> Do USN and USMC pilots ever tire of messing with the minds of other nations deck crews or pilots. I mean really: A GARDEN HOSE! <GRIN>

It's been my experience that aircraft procurement is and always has been 99% political. Every now and then the aviators or uniformed service rebels and takes a hard stand for an aircraft they really want. Examples would be the AV-8 and the French F-8. For countries with small budgets the A-4 simply can't be beat. We are rapidly becoming a "small' country, military-wise so I expect to see "cheaper is better" in future decisions.

I do not know what a catapult track cover deflector is. The original purpose of a track cover was to keep water from accumulating in the track and spewing water into engine intakes during the catapult stroke. J-71 F-3H was particularily affeted by water ingestion. Even rain clouds were a hazard. I would guess a deflector would allow you to shoot with the cover on. Just a WAG.

--------------------
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Katharine Hepburn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 564

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG