AVSIG: Swiss Twin-Bo avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Rick Durden
Top Gun

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #337296 - 03/06/12 12:28 AM

Quote:

Gorgeous, well mannered older bird! Wonderful pics. Nice to see.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Wish I could have put it so well.

Just remembering that the first several times I saw them I thought they were probably going to be fat, slow, cumbersome fuel hogs.

Then I got to spend some quality time flying them. Incredible short field machines (military design requirement), utterly delightful handling (like every Beech I've ever flown from the Model 17 on - superb in the air) agile at a level that belied the size and far more efficient than I could have believed.

Other than the weirdness of the copilot sitting in the middle of the front seats it remains one of my favorite airplanes for capability, cabin size and speed. Plus, it was certificated in the Utility category, and it's the only airplane I've ever flown that has a maneuvering speed above cruise speed (and no, cruise isn't slow). As Doc Walt yelled from way the hell back in the back when Tom Gresham was flying and I was in the right seat (I think Walt was doing margarita research at the time) and we hit some serious turbulence, "Hey, Tom, accelerate this sucker up to maneuvering speed!"

After I checked out Tom Gresham in his T-Bone, he and Walter Atkinson did some research and testing with the pressurized, altitude compensating carburetor engine system (I was taught to fly the things at the full rich lever position and the carbs would lean appropriately) they figured out how to run the birds lean of peak.

I just wish I had the money to pay for the maintenance as it's one of the twins on my wish list to someday own.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Rick Durden]
      #337324 - 03/06/12 11:56 AM

Rick,
Amen, sir! The T-Bone is on my "Lottery" list. I do see someone has an Excalibur mod for sale; I can only imagine what two IO-720's would cost for care and feeding!

In all seriousness, I think that SWMBO could be talked into one if the interior was nice enough, but I recall my 36-month experience with the Seneca III and sanity returns...

Best,
Andy
P.S. PM on your way on another topic

Rick Durden
Top Gun

Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Andrew Niemyer -KDLH]
      #337366 - 03/06/12 10:04 PM

Andy,

Got the PM and replied.

The T-Bone, is to my mind, the perfect piston engine airplane for pleasing the spouse. BIG cabin (you could hold a dance in there). Incredibly smooth in turbulence.

The only ones I flew had the airstair door - no experience or opinion on the overwing entry ones.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Rick Durden]
      #337441 - 03/07/12 09:44 PM

Rick -- Speaking of Tom, he just bought a B55 today at CMA in his quest (I
think) to own every aircraft that Beech ever produced for at least a day.
Nice looking ship, I wish him lots of fun with it.

Bill Bridges - T47
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #337446 - 03/07/12 10:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gorgeous, well mannered older bird!

Concur, made me giggle a little bit, thinking back to how we used to needle Rex Johnson at LBB, who flew Roy Furr's (Furr's Cafeterias) new TwinBo about having his co-pilot sit in the middle seat (throw-over yoke). This one doesn't do that, looks like?

best, randy

All of'm I was ever around were OD. :)

the other bill

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Bill Bridges - T47]
      #337449 - 03/07/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

All of'm I was ever around were OD. :)

the other bill

Yup, Roy's was yellow.

best, randy

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #337454 - 03/07/12 10:56 PM

Quote:

Concur, made me giggle a little bit, thinking back to how we used to needle Rex Johnson at LBB

Ugh, LBB! What's the weather report abbreviation for blowing-dust-fog?

Randy Sohn

Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #337456 - 03/07/12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Ugh, LBB! What's the weather report abbreviation for blowing-dust-fog?

Dunno, tho I do recollect being upstairs in the CAA's (FAA now) tower there once in 1955 or 6 (B-25s), the teletype clattered and it then showed "Braniff airliner reports blowing mud at 21,000' over Amarillo". Good ole daze, I guess. <g>

Thinking back, guess we were taught in the 747s to read the weather report for BR (fog) as "Blowing Rice".

Now all I have to do is drum my fingers on the table when Dux tells us how warm it is in Tucson. <g>

best, randy

Rick Durden
Top Gun

#337459 - 03/08/12 12:06 AM

Randy,

Blowing mud at 21,000...

That brings back an ugly memory. Coming out of Love Field on a spring afternoon in a Cessna 414 to return to Cessna Field, Wichita.

Weather briefer says the winds at Wichita are 270 at 15 - that's what I heard, 15. What he really said was 50. I didn't catch on until well into my flight.

The wind in that part of the world is never out of the west, never. It's either out of the north or south; maybe east for a short time before a huge storm, but never out of the west. That's why every runway in Kansas is oriented north and south.

20 miles north of Dallas, at 10,000 feet, I flew into coffee. A brown world; could see the ground, but that was it. It looked a bit brighter above and I was about to ask for higher when someone at 17,000 said it looked like he was about on top and asked for higher. I stayed where I was. (The air filters were replaced after the flight.)

No way to land on the skinny, north/south runway at Cessna. Too young and inexperienced to realize I could have shot the VOR A into Cessna field and landed on the east/west taxiway that ran from the airstrip over to the factory and all would have been well.

Shot the ILS to 1R at Wichita, circled/dodged/behaved like a leaf in a whirlwind to runway 32. The controller sounded like an announcer at a horse race, giving me the winds every five seconds; "and it's 270 at 55...now it's 280 at 50...270 at 52..."

A 414 handles very strong crosswinds very, very well. Taxiing downwind is another matter. When the rudder gets blown to the stop, your knee comes up and hits you in the chest.

When they say that in the spring in Kansas they take down the wind socks and put up log chains, they aren't kidding.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Randy Sohn

Re: Swiss Twin-Bo [Re: Rick Durden]
      #337479 - 03/08/12 09:51 AM

Quote:

That brings back an ugly memory........in Kansas they take down the wind socks and put up log chains
Warmest regards,
Rick

Concur, but prolly also should add here, "tain't only in Kansas pal, ICT's same as all that world" IMHO, no wonder we taught the students at Wes-Tex first the wheel landings and then later, on a calm day, three points.

An observation here, a lotta guys seem to also forget that there's usually a taxiway or sod or something totally straight into the wind, instead tell their stories of hairy X-winds. Observed this one day when we were sitting/waiting in the FBO at Arthur Godfrey's Leesburg, VA airport, interrupted ferry flight in that little Grumman FM-2 (Mildcat <g>) and surrepticiously listening to the contingent of local white shirted instructors telling war stories about the "killer 150s".

best, randy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2142

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG