AVSIG: MSFS and Hurricane Irene avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1
Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
MSFS and Hurricane Irene
      #324339 - 09/01/11 04:07 PM

For years I've wondered how MSFS would model extreme weather, but I never remembered to go flying on such an occasion. Well, with Hurricane Irene I finally got it right. The results were disappointing.

First I went to First Flight Airport at Kitty Hawk when the hurricane was assaulting that area. I had clear skies. I explain that by the fact that the weather reporting station was shut down.

Later on I went to another airport, after verifying that they were reporting weather with 30 mph winds gusting to 55. Fired up, and nothing remarkable. There was a cloud layer, but the simulator wasn't simulating the real weather.

I'm guessing that MSFS simply wasn't programmed to simulate extreme weather conditions. Too bad.

Geoff Sjostrom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike Stramba CNC3
Public Guest

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: CNC3, Toronto,Ontario, Canada
Re: MSFS and Hurricane Irene [Re: Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago]
      #324348 - 09/01/11 06:20 PM

>I'm guessing that MSFS simply wasn't programmed to simulate extreme weather conditions.

Well there might be something amuck with your "real weather settings" ..

But it certainly can simulate (how accurately is another question), extreme weather.

Just go in and manually crank up the wind settings :)

Mike

Mike Fries (OAK)
Public Guest

Reged: 08/29/06
Loc: San Jose, CA
Re: MSFS and Hurricane Irene [Re: Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago]
      #330694 - 12/10/11 02:40 AM

Quote:

For years I've wondered how MSFS would model extreme weather, but I never remembered to go flying on such an occasion. Well, with Hurricane Irene I finally got it right. The results were disappointing.

First I went to First Flight Airport at Kitty Hawk when the hurricane was assaulting that area. I had clear skies. I explain that by the fact that the weather reporting station was shut down.

Later on I went to another airport, after verifying that they were reporting weather with 30 mph winds gusting to 55. Fired up, and nothing remarkable. There was a cloud layer, but the simulator wasn't simulating the real weather.

I'm guessing that MSFS simply wasn't programmed to simulate extreme weather conditions. Too bad.

Geoff Sjostrom

I have a third-party weather program for MSFS and you can use historical weather data. I loaded up a flight at Biloxi once for the time when a hurricane hit and the results were pretty cool.

--------------------
-Mike Fries
2008 UAA Grad
LAX ATCT 2008-09
RHV ATCT 2009-11
OAK ATCT 2011-Present

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 902

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG