AVSIG: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #326974 - 10/10/11 12:11 PM

Yeah, that's what I heard....AA is a bit backed up on C checks for some of their older planes, especially 757s and 767s.

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #327062 - 10/11/11 02:47 PM

Quote:

Do you like Autocorrect?
Anne

Anne, I just know that I have utter contempt for whatever the publishers use when proofreading articles, they changed one of mine from my "nosewheel airplanes" to "nozzle airplanes" and one other from what I'd written "the first ten degrees of throttle advancement" to "the first ten inches of throttle advancement". As the locals are wont to utter, Uff-dah!!!!!!!!!

best, randy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Jim Tavenner]
      #327064 - 10/11/11 03:25 PM

Ya, I also noted that AA plans to now just park a few B-757 aircraft and that they do indeed have a larger number of pilots requesting retirement.

Pilot staffing must be a difficult area -my son reports that some pilots over age 60 (and mostly on senior equipment like the B-777) can just walk into the chief pilot's office and say, thanks, I'm done.

As everyone in the airline industry knows, saying a quick (and perhaps unplanned) good by to some senior B-777 Captains causes a training wave far down the pilot ranks.

Glad to be out of that race -no choice for me when I turned 60. Looking back, I likely would have continued to fly for 2 more years if I had the choice -but would have said enough Orient stuff -give me some senior nice domestic B-757 schedules.

Oh well, moot now for Dux soon looking at age 75. I'm guessing that our AA Captain will likely fly a bit beyond age 60, as he is now a check airman and enjoys both the sim training and doing some IOE when he bids the line. Plus as I've noted, he is still living with the 30% pay cut since about 2002.

Regards -from still sunny and warm Minneapolis, which we will likely pay for sometime soon. When that happens, I'll leave for Tucson and give my trunk snow shovel to Randy for the winter.

Dux

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #327173 - 10/13/11 12:13 PM

Quote:

When that happens, I'll leave for Tucson and give my trunk snow shovel to Randy for the winter.

Dux

Uff-dah, just think of all the snow if that rain yeterday had been colder! Just now got a phone call from Chip Crosby and why he's been missing BP's soup kitchen.

best, randy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #327988 - 10/25/11 09:33 PM

Well,

Update.

It's true that AA has had a lot of senior pilot retirements. That is an issue that they will deal with for a few more years as they (and all US commercial carriers) deal with the shift from age 60 to age 65.

At a soon point, we will need more commercial pilots. From an international point of view, it's a current and building crisis.

It is also true that AA, as most US commercial carriers, have a hard job of making even a little black ink.

Many are looking at more red ink -and it would not surprise me to see additional (or return) to Chapter 11. AA seems OK for a brief while, but....., you must return to a little black ink)

I don't think our government or our population cares about this long running red ink problem. Our international USA carriers compete with a different group of airlines - many with some under the radar funding from their government. If it's a cheaper international fare -who cares if a foreign government pays for part of the ticket and, sorta, helps buy the new jet airliners.

Our major domestic international commercial carriers are on a downward slope. Been so for a decade and no sign of a change IMO. (Well it's just a union problem with too much pay for too little work. Ops, my son is still looking at a 35% pay cut since 2002 at AA -but he has a union contract).

Most major banks make more profit in 1 month than many US airlines make in 10 years. Check it out.

Ticket prices must continue to go up. If you don't like the airfare -just drive your car from DCA to LAX -or wherever. Gas is still cheap -and it only takes 2-4 days to drive a long ways.

Sigh, Regards,

Dux, not buying airline stocks for sure, but my oil stocks pay big dividends and seem solid.

Off to Tucson next week -yep driving.

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Re: AA Teetering on Bankruptcy? [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #329261 - 11/18/11 11:20 AM

I noted yesterday in the WSJ that the AA pilots are returning to negotiations with the company this week. It's not just the pay issue (most AA pilots are earning less than in 2001), but work rules, etc.

The AA stock price is a joke, the company continues to be heavily in the red. It claims to have a reasonable supply of cash and loan guarantees.

The company hopes to complete a new contract with the pilots before the end of the year -followed by other employee groups early next year.

Stay tunned for sure,

Regards,

Dux from sunny Tucson

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG