AVSIG: FAA draft of EFBs in the cockpit wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1
Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
FAA draft of EFBs in the cockpit
      #321328 - 07/22/11 09:21 AM

This seems to be directed at things like the I-pad being used in the cockpit.

Best,

Dave
=================================================
http://tinyurl.com/42aldsb

Proposed AC
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/ ... d_Copy.pdf

Existing AC that it would replace
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... 20-76A.pdf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: FAA draft of EFBs in the cockpit [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #321375 - 07/23/11 09:55 AM

Thanks, Dave. Sounds like "Ready, Fire, Aim!" is being applied again.

Regards,
Joe

Ps: Tested my iPad from seat 11A. Once I figured out you had to turn "Airplane Mode" off, Foreflight worked great. Of course that turned the wireless back on which isn't desirable.

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: FAA draft of EFBs in the cockpit [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #321397 - 07/23/11 08:03 PM

Joe,

You can turn airplane mode off, and then turn off the cell service and wifi individually on the general page, under settings.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Edited by Jeff Hartmann (INT/SVH) (07/23/11 08:06 PM)

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

#321403 - 07/23/11 11:32 PM

I'm not following you Joe. In the aircraft, I have airplane mode on and charts work fine. I have an e-mail from tech support saying to do that I can forward if you'd like. If airplane mode is off, it can get interference from any Wifi and try to work off that which causes issues.

Let me give another tip: make sure all charts are downloaded you intend to use on the flight. Turn it to airplane mode on and try the route. If all charts aren't loaded, you'll get a checkboard screen in the air (ask me how I learned this sometime).

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Re: FAA draft of EFBs in the cockpit [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #321405 - 07/23/11 11:44 PM

From tech support at Foreflight who I have to complement as being very responsive even on the weekend via e-mail.

Best,

Dave
======================================================
Happy to help!

The behavior you are seeing suggests you may not have downloaded all files for the areas you are flying. Please look at your Download settings and compare with my attached examples.

You'll want to ensure any charts or plates you want to view while offline are downloaded- that way you'll have access to them anytime, anywhere- even when you don't have an internet connection.

First, in ForeFlight, tap More bottom-right, tap Settings left-column, then in right column set Reload Download List to ON.

Then follow these steps to Set Up your Download preferences:

1) Tap the 'Downloads' button
2) Tap the 'United States' line at the top
3) Switch ON any types of charts you're interested in (VFR sectionals, etc.), and switch OFF any that you won't use (e.g., IFR Enroute High if you don't fly IFR in the flight levels)
4) Select each state for which you want the charts. The line for that state will become highlighted and have a check-mark on it.
5) Once you have everything selected, tap the <Downloads button in the top left corner of the page
6) You're returned to the downloads view where you'll see a number of items pending download. Tap the big green 'Download' button and ForeFlight Mobile will start downloading these for you in bulk.

Then, I suggest you perform the PREFLIGHT DOWNLOAD CHECK on page 43 of the Pilot's Guide to determine if you need to download additional files.

To download the Pilot's Guide to your iPad/iPhone, first install iBooks (free) from the App Store, then tap Safari and go to http://cloudfront.foreflight.com/pilots-guide-to-foreflight-hd-4.0.pdf. When the Guide appears, tap the Open in iBooks. Swipe right to left to turn to the Table of Contents, then tap the subject of interest, and iBooks will take you directly to that page. Use the scroll bar along the bottom to move quickly through the Guide. There is a section on Downloads in the Pilot's Guide.

If still No Joy, please send me a screenshot of your download settings and reference this case number.

Page 43 suggest you put the Ipad in Airplane mode and check to see all the information you require is there before going on a flight.

Best,

Dave

Edited by Dave Siciliano (ADS) (07/23/11 11:49 PM)

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #321419 - 07/24/11 08:51 AM

Dave,

The charts will show, but the GPS will not work with Airplane Mode On, if you turn airplane mode Off, for GPS to work, you need to individually turn off both wifi and 3G service in settings.

Page 308 and 309 IPad manual.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

#321421 - 07/24/11 09:47 AM

Oh! Sorry. I don't have GPS on mine, just wanted the charts. I see what you're saying now.

Thanks,

Dave

Mark Kolber (TTA/NC)
Public Guest

Loc: APA/Denver Colorado
      #321880 - 07/31/11 07:55 AM

Read the proposed AC closely. It does have some problems (proposals usually do) but it is directed at =installed= equipment, not portable devices.

--------------------
Mark Kolber
www.midlifeflight.com

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

#322386 - 08/05/11 02:09 AM

Thanks. Not sure what you told them, but I would posit that if getting a GPS fix is dependant on up to date charts, there's something really screwy in their GPS software. I've yet to meet a GPS engine that cares about the back-end display. And, FWIW, I had downloaded all IFR and VFR charts for the entire Lower 48 the day before. So I'm a trifle sceptical of their reply.

Regards,
Joe

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

#322387 - 08/05/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

Dave,

The charts will show, but the GPS will not work with Airplane Mode On, if you turn airplane mode Off, for GPS to work, you need to individually turn off both wifi and 3G service in settings.

Page 308 and 309 IPad manual.

I've only had my iPad for a month. Haven't gotten to page 308 yet!

Thanks,
Joe

(slow reader!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3276

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG