AVSIG: Using Search function avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG News and Help

Pages: 1
Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Using Search function
      #314130 - 03/30/11 01:06 PM

Hi, I'm no good at using the Search function in Avsig. First of all I'd like a lesson in finding something.

Secondly, I now want to move all my Palm address book into the Mac format so I can access it on my iPhone, ie. from the Palm platform to the Mac platform. (Is platform the correct term?)

I remember that there was a thread about this sometime ago with a discussion of programs that will do this. I can't find that thread.
Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike OverlyAdministrator
Hangar Rat w/Buttons

Reged: 04/09/01
Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Using Search function [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #314134 - 03/30/11 01:50 PM

Anne: Our search function from the main index is terrible -- much easier if you know what AVSIG section the message(s) are likely to be in and then perform the search at the message section index level. A Google site search is also a good alternative for the public sections.

Hope someone will chime in on your Palm transfer question.

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: Using Search function [Re: Mike Overly]
      #314142 - 03/30/11 02:44 PM

Thanks, I think I found the thread that I'd remembered but it didn't have the info that I was looking for. By going directly to the section for the search helped.
Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Rod Madsen (KCLT/NC)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: Using Search function [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #314161 - 03/30/11 05:16 PM

Here is what my iMac address book says. Once you get it into your Mac you can get it into your iPhone.
Importing contacts from other applications
Address Book can import contact information that you have saved or exported from other applications in vCard, LDAP Interchange Format (LDIF), tab-delimited, and comma-separated value (CSV) formats.

You can export addresses in LDIF format from Netscape, and vCards from Entourage, Outlook, and others. You can export text files in tab-delimited or CSV format from Numbers or most databases.

To import contacts:

Export addresses from another application in a supported format.

Before exporting tab-delimited or CSV files, you may want to note the order of the information fields. If the file doesn’t contain labels, you can refer to your notes to manually identify the fields in a later step.

If the application you’re exporting from supports it, export vCards that include multiple contacts to speed up importing. For example, in Outlook select all of your contacts and choose to forward them as vCards. Send the email message, which includes a vCard attachment for each selected contact, to yourself on your Mac computer. In Mail, save the vCard attachments, and then use Address Book to import them.

Verify the exported .txt or CSV files using a text editor such as TextEdit.

Make sure there are no line breaks within a contact’s information, which can cause the import to fail. Remove any line breaks you find.

Make sure that fields in a .txt or tab-delimited file are separated by a tab, and fields in a CSV file are separated by a comma, instead of by quotation marks or another character. Do not include spaces before or after tabs and commas.

Make sure all addresses have the same number of fields; add empty fields as needed.

In Address Book, choose File > Import, select the file you want to import, change the encoding if necessary, and then click Open.

If you’re importing a text file, review the field labels Address Book will use for the information. You can change field labels, or choose to ignore or not import fields.

If the first card contains headers, review the headers to make sure they are correctly labeled or marked as “Do not import,” and make changes as necessary. Any changes you make to this card are made in all of the cards in the file. To exclude the headers card from being imported, select the “Ignore first card” checkbox.

Use the arrows to browse information in the file to determine if fields need to be relabeled or not imported.

To change a label, click the arrows next to the label and choose a new label from the pop-up menu. If you don’t want to import a field, choose “Do not import.”

When you import contacts into an Exchange 2007 account, information in Exchange fields that aren’t supported in Address Book are added to the Notes field on the contact’s card.

To see the most-recently imported contacts, click Last Import in the Group column. This list is updated each time you import contacts. Use the View menu to show or hide the Last Import item in the Group column.

If you receive a message containing a vCard file in Mail, you can easily import it into Address Book by double-clicking the vCard. Address Book opens and asks you to confirm adding the card to your address book.