AVSIG: More 787 trouble wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
More 787 trouble
      #306817 - 12/21/10 11:57 AM

According to the Seattle Times, the troubles with the 787 aren't as bad as they look... they're worse.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
Re: More 787 trouble [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #306823 - 12/21/10 01:43 PM

Ralph -

It would be a great plane... if they had built the fuselage out of aluminum, had used the correct fasteners the first time around, had addressed wing/body joints correctly up front, had used GE engines... had done some great electrical engineering on the power units, had built the tails in Everett instead of letting a sub do a design/build job in Italy. And, "rain in the plane" - as has been experienced thus far - isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the level of engineering expertise brought to bear on aircraft environmental systems.

They may eventually get it all together. Their highly experienced work force in Everett is working their butts off trying to pull all the pieces together, in spite of the obstacles created by inept management going into the program. My guess is that they will eventually get all the fixes on newly built machines, and make a go of things. No telling how much scrap will end up on the parking spaces in Everett - i.e. how many get re-worked and how many get scrapped. I remember a time about 1980 or so, when I had a "Boeing badge", when all the scuttlebut amongst those with contacts in the program, that the 737 was a terrible airplane, bound to be a big money loser, etc., etc. .... all of which kinda sounds familiar....<g>

- Reams -

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: More 787 trouble [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #306828 - 12/21/10 03:18 PM

Quote:

And, "rain in the plane" - as has been experienced thus far - isn't exactly a ringing endorsement

The reporter couldn't resist adding a cutesy-poo touch, describing that as "piddling"...;-)

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #306830 - 12/21/10 04:04 PM

Ya, the B777 program was a picture of overall coordination/cooperation and great results.

I hope that the B787 does get it's act(s) together. I used to say, "if it's not Boeing, I'm not going".

Well now just a passenger and have no problem flying Airbus or CRJ stuff -or even the old Delta MD-80s

Regards,

Dux

Stephanie Belser-2
Top Gun APC

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KFAM
      #306841 - 12/21/10 06:35 PM

Might be a reason why Boeing is increasing the production rate for 777s?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2056

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG