AVSIG: Glass Kills Pilots avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Cole Loftus [C89]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/04/04
Glass Kills Pilots [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #285329 - 03/27/10 03:41 AM

I gave up trying to fly the altitude and VSI tapes directly real fast.
I set the bugs for target numbers, and a quick glance shows the bug
position. I can fly those a lot easier than trying to make the numerical
readout exactly what I want.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Glass Kills Pilots [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #285380 - 03/27/10 06:48 PM

Joe,

I've had two short flights behind a glass panel (20 minutes left seat in an SR-20, and, last year at SMXgig, 20 minutes in a C182 with a Garmin G1000).

Your write-up reminds me of my flight last year in the C182. I have many hours in the C182s in our club with the round steam gauges. It was surprisingly difficult to try to assimilate all the data on the panel. In the end, for the duration of my flight, I didn't look much at the panel. I wonder how many hours it would take me to get comfortable flying in IMC behind such a panel?

John

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Glass Kills Pilots [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #285392 - 03/27/10 08:30 PM

Quote:

I've had two short flights behind a glass panel (20 minutes left seat in an SR-20, and, last year at SMXgig, 20 minutes in a C182 with a Garmin G1000).

Your write-up reminds me of my flight last year in the C182. I have many hours in the C182s in our club with the round steam gauges. It was surprisingly difficult to try to assimilate all the data on the panel. In the end, for the duration of my flight, I didn't look much at the panel. I wonder how many hours it would take me to get comfortable flying in IMC behind such a panel?

Yes, good question. I also wonder if size matters. <g> Not only are you learning whole new ways of reading the data and reacting to what you're reading - you're learning a whole new scan. Is there an appreciable difference in relearning the scan between a big panel such as the G1000 vs. a small one such as the Aspen? Dunno.

Regards,
Joe

Mat Waugh
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/19/04
Loc: IAD
Re: Glass Kills Pilots [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #285415 - 03/27/10 10:47 PM

Quote:

But, I expect it will be a slightly easier transition, as I am used to tapes for airspeed and altitude from flying the HUD in the A-10.

Will be interesting though.

It will be. I flew all steam and then "transitioned" to the CRJ's glass and flew that exclusively (because they wouldn't let me flight instruct and I couldn't afford to rent :-).

So I've never flown "current generation" glass. The point I ponder is that in a constant attempt to improve the attitude indicator presentation the tapes have been moved further and further out to the edges. In the CRJ the glass was fairly small (and I assume the same in your A10 HUD) and so the scan was fairly tight. I wonder if the latest glass has created a scan problem?

I hope to actually fly some new glass in the next few months and I wonder how I'll do.

Mat

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Glass Kills Pilots [Re: Mat Waugh]
      #285437 - 03/28/10 09:53 AM

That will be interesting. And yes, the HUD wasn't that large.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12072

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG