AVSIG: Oxygen System Specifications wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1
Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
Oxygen System Specifications
      #273536 - 11/19/09 07:01 PM

I'm probably blind, but ...

... I've looked through Parts 21, 23, 43 and 91 and I haven't found anything controlling certification/acceptance of supplemental oxygen systems.

Can someone please provide me with a pointer to the relevant information?

Thanks

- TT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Ventura, CA
Re: Oxygen System Specifications [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #274339 - 11/26/09 07:26 AM

Hi Tom-

I'm interpreting your question to mean small ox systems that are not permenantly installed.

If it is temporarily installed, then it most likely isn't regulated. Handheld GPS units, battery-powered intercoms (remember them?) etc all fall into that category, I think.

DOT regulates oxygen cylinders themselves.

-TH

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Re: Oxygen System Specifications [Re: Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)]
      #274349 - 11/26/09 01:44 PM

Thanks Tom,

That was my interpretation, but I was checking with "the source of all knowledge aeronautical" (the members of AvSIG <No G>) for confirmation.

We're continuing to explore plans for a portable aero oxygen business with a target of offering the most cost effective, simple (no built-in systems, no electronic regulators) constant flow portable systems based on the well proven technology developed for the home medical oxygen industry.

The trick thus far seems to be equipping everything with aviation connectors and valves instead of the more common and less expensive medical parts so as to not fall under the FDA's purview requiring an MD's prescription.

I'll keep the SIG-Ratz here informed of our progress, and if we go ahead with it I hope we can offer an "AvSIG Family Special".

- TT

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Mick Ruthven
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
      #274356 - 11/26/09 02:26 PM

I'm curious about what benefits you see over the Precise Flight/Nelson systems.

Quote:

We're continuing to explore plans for a portable aero oxygen business with a target of offering the most cost effective, simple (no built-in systems, no electronic regulators) constant flow portable systems based on the well proven technology developed for the home medical oxygen industry.

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Re: Oxygen System Specifications [Re: Mick Ruthven]
      #274364 - 11/26/09 03:02 PM

Quote:

I'm curious about what benefits you see ...

I've used and never been comfortable with the little plastic tube and pellet flow device. The older ones (the ones I have experience with) were prone to break if you managed to sit on them, and it was easy to change the flow accidentally while moving around in your seat.

The systems we're looking at uses a mechanical pressure reducer/flow regulator which attaches directly to the oxygen bottle valve and has a single click-detent knob to select the total flow desired in liters/minute. There's much less to go wrong because it's based on widely used and ultra reliable home medical oxygen equipment.

There are literally millions of these systems in use around the US today, some of which are being operated by folks with much less technical sophistication than possessed by almost any licensed pilot. That volume alone offers economies of numbers which will never be available to equipment built specifically for aero use.

- TT

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Edited by Tom Tyson [KGSO] (11/26/09 03:53 PM)

Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Huntsville, Alabama
      #274380 - 11/26/09 06:47 PM

Not sure, Tom, but it might be in the DOT regs.

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2903

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG