AVSIG: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Another #@$%! Dead Soldier
      #263604 - 09/07/09 12:25 AM

It's too bad you can't flush a laptop down the toilet!

Eldest son is off to college - down at that ramblin' tech school in Atlanta. (There's a gig in here somewhere, I just know it!) He's majoring in Computer Science, Marine ROTC, and beer. Doing well so far in the later, but I digress. <g> So he has to head off with a shiny new laptop to keep up with all the fancy computin' they do down there.

Being of Scottish descent, smart old Dad appropriates the kid's old laptop for household use. I'll clean it up and turn it over to SWMBO as it's better than what she's using now. Do you have any idea just how much cr@p a high school student who's interested in computers can load onto his? Holy cow! I make a half-hearted attempt to clean it up before discovering a couple of "adware" programs with no uninstall. Heck with it.

Fortunately I have a backup disk image from before I surrendered the computer to youngster in the first place. No problem, we'll restore this puppy and and carry on. That takes a while but is indeed no problem. Except my WiFi network no longer works with the XP2 in the restored disk image because the WiFi encryption needs XP3. Did I forget to tell you my genius used the Lan cord as a tripwire and broke the RJ45 Ethernet connection on the laptop? Hmmmm. So OK, we'll set the WiFi back to the Stone Age temporarily, get all the Windows updates so the WiFi can work again, restore encryption and carry on.

Well, in the middle of all the updates I start getting error messages that the USB controller has failed. YGTBSM! Yes, subsequent tests show the hardware has really gone West. Urgh. AAAAGGHH! The whole plan is now dead in the H20. Even if I were to type in the whole gazillion-bit WiFi key in ASCII to get the frellin' thing back on the house 'net, SWMBO hates touchpads. There's no traditional serial port so the add-on mice, trackballs, etc. must all plug into the now-defunct USB port. This just isn't going to work.

There's a Labor Day Weekend I won't get back again. Any suggestion on what to do with a Wifi-only PC that can't do USB? Too bad it won't fit in either the loo or the disposal!

Your pi$$ed-off correspondent,
Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mick Ruthven
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #263607 - 09/07/09 12:52 AM

I don't see any use for a computer without USB these days. If that's wrong, I'll gladly be enlightened.

Quote:

Any suggestion on what to do with a Wifi-only PC that can't do USB?

Paul Millner [OAK]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Oakland CA
      #263609 - 09/07/09 02:26 AM

How about a PCMCIA USB card?

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #263610 - 09/07/09 02:54 AM

Quote:

Any suggestion on what to do with a Wifi-only PC that can't do USB?

No bluetooth? That could get you a wireless mouse. There might be WiFi wireless, but it may not be worth it.

Something you might consider is "educational value". Dissect it and see what the inside looks like. Who knows, you might find where something got dropped inside and messing it all up. It's surprising how many high-tech toys have low-tech problems.

Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #263612 - 09/07/09 05:52 AM

Joe, I understand there is a certain therapeutic value to using a sledge
hammer on the thing, then tossing it in the trash. (Screw the
environmentalists.)

Like drawing the face of your worse enemy on a punching bag. "Take that, you
S.O.B...and THAT...and T-H-A-T!" [Then holding it daintily between thumb and
forefinger as he drops it into the garbage can, dusting his hands together.]
"Finally, you truly worthless POS!"

And now for the best night's sleep you've had in years. I envy you.

Jim Good
AVSIG Member

Reged: 09/01/01
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #263620 - 09/07/09 07:53 AM

Punkin Chunkin season will be here in a few weeks. I'd suggest taking the old laptop to a champion punkin chunker and have them launch it.

Punkin Chunkin

In the meantime, go to a local store today and check out the Labor Day sales. You ought to be able to find SWMBO a brand new laptop for less than the cost of the therapeutic counseling that you will need if you continue to try to salvage the old `puter.

--------------------
All things truly wicked start from innocence.
Ernest Hemingway

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #263621 - 09/07/09 08:04 AM

Joe,

LOL, sorry that it's at your expense but thanks, I needed that! I like Ward's idea with the sledge, sounds very satisfying. I'd suggest a few drams of your favorite single malt and hammer away. Alternately, if you're in a suitable environment, some skeet shooting could be entertaining also :-)

jb

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Paul Millner [OAK]]
      #263622 - 09/07/09 08:05 AM

Quote:

How about a PCMCIA USB card?

Now there's an idea!

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Russell Holton]
      #263624 - 09/07/09 08:13 AM

Quote:

Who knows, you might find where something got dropped inside and messing it all up. It's surprising how many high-tech toys have low-tech problems.

We had an Aerostar Van which behaved fine except at random intervals all the electrons in the dashboard would go into hiding. Nothing exciting - change the fuse and carry on. This went on for years. Finally for some unrelated reason I pulled the radio. Radios aren't supposed to rattle, are they? One of our little dear ones had gotten a dime through the cassette tape slot and into the clear space between the electronics and the face of the unit, where the dime was rolling back and forth. Every once in a while it'd bridge the right couple of contacts...

Regards,
Joe

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Mick Ruthven]
      #263625 - 09/07/09 08:14 AM

Quote:

I don't see any use for a computer without USB these days. If that's wrong, I'll gladly be enlightened.

I'm in the same camp.

Regards,
Joe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4220

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG