AVSIG: Telephone Options wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
Re: Telephone Options [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #263010 - 09/02/09 06:32 PM

Scott -

I've been on stretches of I-5 locally and other interstates, including some with other Cycle Oregon trips. The Cycle Oregon folks usually do a good job with Oregon ODOT getting the shoulder swept just before the ride, so you can stay way to the side - and on that stretch of road, looks like they've got wide shoulders - maybe 12 feet or so. So, hopefully, it won't be too bad if the weather's good. If not, wind driven water on wet days is really annoying while on a bicycle (yea, did that one time in rain mixed with snow on a Cycle Oregon trip in the Blue Mountains.)

This stretch is to get thru the Siskiyous... not a lot of options for the last few miles in OR and the first few in CA.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/sm_nhilt.shtml

The scariest US interstate ride I've had on my bike was earlier this summer in Colorodo... from Colorado 65 junction with I-70 to US 6 junction with I-70 at Palisade.... Basically from the road from Mesa to the cut-off for Grand Junction. For much of that route, it was along a narrow part of the canyon of the Colorado River, and the shoulder was only 4 foot or so, with a rumble strip of better than a foot on the left, leaving about 3 foot for single file riding. That really wasn't any fun....

- Reams -

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4003

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG