AVSIG: FiOS deserters ;-) wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
FiOS deserters ;-)
      #262839 - 09/01/09 03:27 PM

The maintenance guy was here today, I asked if many people here had switched to FiOS, after the wiring. Yep, many did. Most went back to Cabelevsion too, including him. For a change reality, or at least a small sample comports with the ads CV has been running. He's coming back tomorrow for another repair, I'll ask if he knows the reasons, or at least his reason. Bettin' it's when ya get the bill.

jb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Jim Bell]
      #262845 - 09/01/09 04:31 PM

Quote:

Bettin' it's when ya get the bill.

Odd. Seems like you should know what to expect in advance. If it's not working out that way, then I think Consumer Protection is going to get interested.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Russell Holton]
      #262847 - 09/01/09 04:48 PM

Russell,

I'll ask him tomorrow what the reasons he's heard are, and his reason. I wrote what I did because I have Verizon as my landline; what they advertise and what you pay may come as a surprise *unless* you ask when you start whatever service plan what the actual, all in cost will be.

jb

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #262857 - 09/01/09 05:38 PM

Well, FIOS has great ads. I enjoy them all. The Cablevision ads around here are really lame. I've only seen two, and those many times. The Fios ones keep changing, with a chuckle each time for the poor red-haired fellow.

Not going to make me change to Fios though. Actually, I "can't" change to Fios. It doesn't come to my town.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #262870 - 09/01/09 07:26 PM

I hope we get it here some day. I despise cable, but I have too many trees in the way to get DirecTV here. And, believe it or not, where I live I cannot receive my own TV station over the air (there is this thing called Rib Mountain in the way).

--------------------
-Gil

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
      #262908 - 09/01/09 11:33 PM

Keep us posted. Comcast has informed us that, like it or not all of our TV's are going to need some kind of box from them in the near future. So there goes our last remaining reason to adhere to cable. Verizon is our only other provider so I'd be interested in the tradeoffs.

Regards,
Joe

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #262909 - 09/01/09 11:39 PM

Joe,

I'll get what I can. It was funny how the subject came up...he asked about what Linksys router he should get, as he saw mine, shades of Geoff's thread. Sort of led naturally to me asking him about FiOS. More tomorrow...

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (09/01/09 11:41 PM)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #262956 - 09/02/09 11:33 AM

Joe, others,

The reason Bob (maintenance guy) and others here changed back was indeed money. His Cablevision package, most everything was/is ~$125/mo. FiOS $168. Plus, little things like $1.50 for 411 calls, CV free plus free DVR for 2 years. The kicker: CV paid for folks to come back, which I understood to mean paid the termination fees. Once again, with CV, none. That's the story here, and completely predictable...if you don't absolutely nail Verizon down as to the all-in monthly rate yer in for a surprise. One other note, to Bob there wasn't any visible difference with the TV or net speed, but I will say CV net speed is zippy here, always has been.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: FiOS deserters ;-) [Re: Gil Buettner [KAUW]]
      #262959 - 09/02/09 11:40 AM

Gil,

Curious, 'despise' is a strong word, why? Something Bob said this morning was interesting, "same thing, different name, more expensive" as regards cable here vs. FiOS. See my reply to Joe for the rest.

jb

Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
      #262961 - 09/02/09 11:48 AM

Quote:

Gil,

Curious, 'despise' is a strong word, why?
jb

I have been in the local TV business nearly all my adult life, and have had terrible dealings with cable companies on the business to business side. It really bothers me to give them my own money.

--------------------
-Gil

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG