AVSIG: Well, That Was A Scare.... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Well, That Was A Scare....
      #260873 - 08/21/09 01:14 AM

Just spent a couple hours with my fingers crossed, and it seems to have worked.....

I was perusing the Washington Times online when the machine started acting funny....page locked up, lots of disk activity...shut off internet access as quickly as I could. Machine was fairly well locked up, used Task Manager to shut down and restart, but Norton antivirus 2009 wouldn't load. Rebooted into SAFE mode and tried a system restore to yesterday; wouldn't restore. Tried a system restore back to last Sunday - that worked, apparently. But NAV was dead. So I reloaded NAV from the disc, did all the live updates, rebooted and did a scan and all seems to be well....I then shut off System restore to erase all restore points, rebooted again and turned System Restore back on and created a restore point. Everything seems to be OK but I will certainly be watching it closely for awhile.....WHEW. Most of my important files and docs are backed up but I don't have a complete system backup (yet) and starting from scratch with all my programs sure would have been a chore....

My guess is that the Wash Times page was hacked and loaded a baddie on the machine. I recommend NOT reading their story about the politics of fat and how the Nannies want to control your diet by refusing you any health care till you lose the weight.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Gifford
Top Gun

Loc: Montgomery County MD
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #260878 - 08/21/09 06:46 AM

Quote:

the machine started acting funny....page locked up, lots of disk activity...

Happens to one of the three computers at my house pretty frequently. The other two don't seem to suffer from the syndrome. The afflicted one does not seem to be a victim of external attack so much as a victim of some other malady.

Reboot usually fixes it... but the normal, gentle instructions to reboot can take several minutes to work, so sometimes I just sledgehammer the thing with a push-and-hold of the power switch. (It's an old machine, in the PC obsolescence scheme of things, being an early XP critter from Dell and still using a CRT monitor).

Quote:

Everything seems to be OK but I will certainly be watching it closely for awhile..... My guess is that the Wash Times page was hacked and loaded a baddie on the machine.

I thought similar thoughts the first few times my PC went into diskelepsy. Now I just think, oh, darn, it's having an episode.

--------------------
Be well,
-Jim

Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #260891 - 08/21/09 08:33 AM

>> ...Norton 2009 wouldn't load. <<

Mase, several months ago I finally removed Norton from my computers and
installed Kaspersky Internet Security. What an improvement. Norton was a
resource hog. It took forever to re-boot and I often saw the harddisk
thrashing for many minutes, delaying any of my important work, until Norton
took care of itself first.

I never know Kaspersky is there, except when it gives me a warning message,
something Norton never did. It updates its library several times a day, not
once a week as did Norton. Am I ever glad I finally changed! Just wish I
had done it sooner.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#260894 - 08/21/09 08:53 AM

Mase,

Glad the box recovered, gives a little impetus to that full backup ;-) Good idea about wiping the Restore points, bad guys can live there and come right back when you use the Restore function. I'd second Ward about losing Norton. Not a personal vendetta, it really is a pig.

jb

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
      #260896 - 08/21/09 09:05 AM

I'll echo the other comments about Norton and add MacAfee to the Hall of Shame list as well.

I've been running Avast for several years and am quite pleased with both the performance and it's effectiveness. There is both a free version ("home") and a pay for version ("professional") available on their website.

Google "Avast antivirus"

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #260898 - 08/21/09 09:16 AM

Tom,

Funny, was just posting a note about Avast for Mac. Good on PC, not so much on Mac.

jb

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #260910 - 08/21/09 11:23 AM

I wonder if it had more do do with a add in on the page, like a graph or pdf. I experience similar performance issues on one system when I open up a large PDF. You have to kill the browser, or if task manager is unavailable, unplug the system.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Jim Gifford]
      #260923 - 08/21/09 12:47 PM

Quote:

I thought similar thoughts the first few times my PC went into diskelepsy. Now I just think, oh, darn, it's having an episode.

Yeah, I was hoping and thinking that, but normal ops don't usually kill your antivirus program.....

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Ward Miller POU-NY]
      #260925 - 08/21/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

Mase, several months ago I finally removed Norton from my computers and
installed Kaspersky Internet Security.

Yep, Norton justifiably had/has a reputation of being a resource hog. The 2006-2008 versions were particularly onerous. However, starting with NAV 2009, Symantec completely rewrote the programs and they are much lighter on the system. Additionally, they have become much more customer-friendly and they have a very helpful tech support forum where actual, real, US-based programmers accept feedback, provide fixes, and respond very well to customers. I've been completely happy with the newer versions of NAV.

--------------------

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#260931 - 08/21/09 01:58 PM

Mase,

Thinking back, I'm hard pressed to think of software (leaving OS out) that's left such a dissatisfied and vocal former customer base as Norton has. I've no doubts what you report is true as regards current versions but that won't prevent me advising people not to use it, or as Tom mentioned, McAfee. Your comment that whatever happened disabled NAV doesn't help the case either. My $0.02 as always...

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8316

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG