AVSIG: Thinking about a P-Baron wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Beechcraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #259576 - 08/11/09 05:45 PM

I looked at the Rocket Engineering conversion pretty closely back when my business had a future <g>

Like everything, a lot of pros and cons. Those PT-6s generated tremendous power; and drank a like amount of fuel. Since I already have a P-Baron, the conversion was only a bit over $1MM.

They were still trying to get the yellow arc raised to hit 300 knots true at FL250 last I spoke with them. Some feds wanted a barber pole. The fella at rocket just shucked that off and said it wouldn't be an issue. Sure put a lot of stress on that airframe and one wondered about Vmc on one and flutter, but that was shucked off too. 'Course all performance was based on getting to FL250 quickly. The cabin differential in the P puts it at 12,500 at FL250; no problem--use a cannula. If one cruised lower, the fuel burn would sure get you on the FBO's Christmas card list.

It sounds like a great VLJ alternative, but if they have the STC and you want to get it serviced or something needs warranty work, Washington can be quite a ways off.

Best,

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #259581 - 08/11/09 06:14 PM

Dave,

<< but if they have the STC and you want to get it serviced or something needs warranty work, Washington can be quite a ways off.>>

Can't speak specifically about this conversion, but the same concerns were raised regarding the Rocket. The answer from them was, "Whoever can work on a Mooney M20K and on a Cont TSIO-520NB can work on your Rocket." That was consistent with my experience. Occasionally, very occasionally, a shop had to call Rocket Engineering with a question about something that was modified under the STC.

So, my guess would be that whoever can work on a Baron and can work on a PT-6 ought to be able to work on the Turbine Baron.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #259589 - 08/11/09 08:07 PM

Robert: They have already had one modification for the fuel pump; guess where one had to bring the plane for the mod.

Normal maintenance, I agree. But something to do with the STC that needs to be changed, and you'll be headed west.

Also, what gets priority? Selling a new Baron/Duke conversion, or fixing a problem with the five already out there?

There are a lot more Mooneys and Malibus out there than P-Baron and Duke conversions.

Best,

Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33067

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG