AVSIG: Cirrus Pushing Envelope wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Cirrus Design

Pages: 1
Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Cirrus Pushing Envelope
      #249868 - 06/02/09 11:08 AM

This description of a flight to JAC in ice at night in a FIKI Cirrus is a bit
beyond my comfort level.

http://cirrusaircraft.com/perspective/fiki.aspx

Not sure this is the message Cirrus should be sending to its new aircraft
owners......

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Re: Cirrus Pushing Envelope [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #249870 - 06/02/09 11:39 AM

Scott,

<< "For a few years the Cirrus SR22 has been available with basic ice protection, meant only to buy pilots a bit of time and security while exiting an inadvertent icing encounter. It was never intended to allow pilots to deliberately penetrate visible moisture when icing is known or forecast." >>

It would be prudent, IMHO, to think of the FIKI system in the same manner.

If you're up for an analogy, it's kinda like (paraphrasing Billy Joel here) walking through Bedford Sty alone at night because you're carrying.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #249963 - 06/03/09 06:54 AM

Have you seen Bob Miller's rant about Cirrus in his latest "Over the Airways"?

Dick

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Cirrus Pushing Envelope [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #250160 - 06/04/09 11:36 AM

Dick:
Yes. He repeats so many Cirrus OWT's that it's a nice compendium of them. All this from a guy who says a good CFII must take his students flying into known icing conditions (and should by all means encounter the same) in aircraft NOT certified for flying into known icing. I guess he's from the "what doesn't kill you makes you tougher" school of instruction. <BG>

Best,
Andy

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
      #250249 - 06/05/09 02:21 PM

Actually, I kinda like the sound of that. In fact I think I'ld like to have a a local partner for a FIKI C22 with turbo.

What I have not liked doing in the past is telling approach that NO, I don't want lower right now, and don't want a long drag thru the clag on my way in.... I prefer to stay up here (in the clear, or light flurries) and descend very quickly when I'm closer to BFI to pass thru and get below any potential freezing rain very rapidly.

In the NW in winter, we often see days where freezing level is relatively low, but temps in mid to high 30s with light rain on the ground mean you eventually have a decent "out" at the bottom if you can otherwise avoid the "ice machine", especially over next to the mountains.

So, being able to "turn on" the equipment for the descent would make for much higher comfort level. On the other hand, at JAC, with feezing temps on the ground, if the equipment fails, you are back to needing to descend quickly, with terrain issues to deal with.... .. so that's raising the stakes considerably.

- Reams -

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Cirrus Pushing Envelope [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #254539 - 07/10/09 10:07 AM

Reams -- Sorry, I didn't see these messages in the Cirrus section as TapUBB doesn't pick them up. I guess the original message got moved after it was posted.

Sure, I like the TKS a whole lot for descending down through an icing layer with the equipment on. The terrain and weather below still has to give me an out...I really don't like reading stories where the pilot speaks of "I have to make this landing or else....". I'd much prefer to see an out or two exist until the wheels stop rolling on the runway.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5774

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG