AVSIG: Preschool Flight Instruction wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Huntsville, Alabama
Preschool Flight Instruction
      #249406 - 05/29/09 07:07 PM

I have three grandchildren, the youngest is 4, going on 20. This boy has always been very matter-of-fact, and only speaks in declarative sentences. He never asks questions, he just tells you the facts, and explains things to you. You can tell that he is thinking hard about something, then he explains it to you. He has flown with me in the Saratoga, on short local fun flights and on long flights.

So today the phone rings.

Hello.

Hi.

<I could tell it was one of the grandchildren, but I had no idea which boy or if it was the girl.>

This is Joshua.

Hi, Joshua. How are you?

Fine. How do you land an airplane?

<Well! I think this is the first question he has ever asked me. I have to think about this one a minute. So I concoct some explanation I think might be suitable for a 4-year old, and go through it a couple of times. I don't think he got it, hmmmm... maybe I need to review the FOI. >

So, Joshua, why did you ask me this question? Were you talking about airplanes with some friends, or just thinking about it in your head?

Just thinking about it in my head.

<So this boy has been thinking about flying airplanes, and has figured out already that takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory. He jumped right to the critical issue. Don't want to waste questions. >

Well, Joshua, the best way to answer your question is for us to go fly in an airplane and I will show you how we land it.

OK.

We can go in my airplane, which is a little big for you, or we can go in a little airplane with just two seats, one for me and one for you. How's that?

<I was thinking of a C152.>

I like airplanes with two motors. I want to fly in one of those.

<At least he didn't want a jet!>

Well, Joshua, I can't fly those, so we will have to go in an airplane with one motor, but a small one just your size.

I want one with two motors.

I don't have one of those, Joshua.

OK.

Chit-chat.

Bye.

Bye, Joshua.

<In a few minutes, his mom calls. Joshua announced to her yesterday that he was going to be an airplane pilot, and he needed to learn how to land one. She told him that he would have to call PawPaw Stan about that.

So he did.

Gotta buy this boy a logbook.>

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike Stramba CNC3
Public Guest

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: CNC3, Toronto,Ontario, Canada
Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Stan Prevost]
      #249428 - 05/29/09 09:26 PM

Hi Stan,

Did you happen to ask him how he thought an airplane is landed ? :) You know "kids say the darndest things", and all that.

What was the explanation you "concocted" that you figured he didn't get?

I'm sure you'd love to take him in the real thing, but after he starts asking to fly every day, maybe these could keep him amused :

FMS - free RC flight simulator
http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Then when he masters, that, a "park flyer" "foamie" rc plane would be cool :

http://tinyurl.com/ls2ja4

Here are a couple of great RC sites :
http://www.rcgroups.com/
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/

The classified / for sale forums might be of interest, rcgroups even has a "free stuff", that occasionally, RTF (ready to fly) (i.e. "everything you need") planes show up in.

Completely unrelated to aviation, another hobby of mine is 3d animation, www.blender.org, is a free open source program that's been used to create two open source short movies (all assets of the movie are downloadable)

Maybe he'd like to draw / model airplanes ;)

Mike

Edited by Mike Stramba CNC3 (05/29/09 09:31 PM)

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Stan Prevost]
      #249431 - 05/29/09 09:56 PM

Stan -- Take care of that boy!

(And enjoy the flight!)

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Mike Stramba CNC3]
      #249435 - 05/29/09 10:17 PM

Mike -

The little guy is not very comfortable talking on the telephone yet. And my bad hearing doesn't help. So I will have to ask him when Nana is around to help. I think, though, if he had an idea, he would have explained it to me.

My explanation was something like "To land the airplane, we have to get it down close to the ground where the airport is. So I slow the motor down and that makes the airplane slowly go down closer to the ground. While it is going down, I steer the airplane toward the airport, and when it is right over the runway, I slow the motor down some more and the airplane will gently settle down onto the runway."

Sorta like I would tell a primary student!

I remember wading out into a small river with Joshua's older brother (now 11, then 6), and telling him to hold on to my hand tightly, because the current will be strong out in the middle of the river. "PawPaw, what's current?" He soon learned. But it is hard to know in advance what words and ideas will register with a child (or a flight student experiencing new things).

He has had the balsa and foam airplane toys. He's about ready to introduce to MSFS. His brother always wanted to crash into the Sears Tower when departing Meigs.

Thanks for all the links.

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #249436 - 05/29/09 10:18 PM

You betcha!

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #249495 - 05/30/09 11:23 AM

I found out with my son when explaining things to him I just pretended he was an adult. He would ask if a word didn't register. One of my friends was amazed one day at the airport restaurant when she overheard me explaining orbital mechanics to him at age 7 or so. At nine, he helped me navigate to Alaska and back. Now I rely on him to hook up my Tivo.

Looking forward to when my 3 yo grandson will call me.

Dick-not sure I am ready to be called Paw-Paw

Stan Prevost
Public Guest

Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #249506 - 05/30/09 12:32 PM

Quote:

I found out with my son when explaining things to him I just pretended he was an adult.

I think that is generally the best way, but I make some allowances for preschoolers.

Quote:

Now I rely on him to hook up my Tivo.

My wife relies on the older grandson to set her digital watch. He helps me with the airplane, getting it into and out of the hangar, hooking up the PowerTow. He also helps with refueling, connecting up the ground strap,and actually doing the refueling. He sometimes needs help with the big long hose, as he is small of stature. But he knows how to use care with the nozzle, maintain metal-to-metal contact, keep the hose off the paint, etc. He also draws the samples from the sumps. From the rear seat, he maintains an amazing awareness of things just by watching the GPS screen with his keen eyesight.

Quote:

not sure I am ready to be called Paw-Paw

They chose the name, it's what my daddy wanted my children to call him. But it does make you feel kinda old. <g>

--------------------
Best Regards,

Stan

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
      #249537 - 05/30/09 03:48 PM

>>> Paw-paw

In my wife's German-heritage family it's Omi (Grandma) and Opa (Grandpa).

I am her second husband. We lived together for a few years before marrying.
One set of grandkids would call me Opa or Opa Ray to distinguish me from the
(then) still-living biological grandfather. However, the other set was
forbidden to call me Opa by their extremely conservative Christian parents
because we were "living in sin".

The solution: Pseudopa.

P.S. Omi and I have since married and we are "forgiven".

--------------------
Ray,

Owner, Lake Wood Be Gone

Turning quality lumber into sawdust and noise since 2013.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Ray Tackett]
      #249540 - 05/30/09 03:59 PM

I had a deal with my kids when they were young and small. Whenever we were flying, if someone saw an aircraft in flight before I did they earned a dollar. Always good to have motivated extra eyeballs aboard.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Edited by Mase Taylor [L.A] (05/30/09 07:59 PM)

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Preschool Flight Instruction [Re: Ray Tackett]
      #249544 - 05/30/09 04:53 PM

Quote:

because we were "living in sin".

Wow, I can hardly remember when I last heard it called that...;-)

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3738

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG