AVSIG: Thinking about a P-Baron wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Beechcraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Tom Gresham (HDC)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Louisiana
Thinking about a P-Baron
      #248238 - 05/21/09 07:13 AM

The nature of the flights I take has changed a bit, and I have found myself thinking it's time to go back to a twin. Along with that, pressurization and air conditioning have bubbled to the top of my want list.

So, I'm looking.

The problems or issues with the 400 series Cessnas worry me. The Duke scares me with the tales of expenses.

I'd prefer cabin class, but about 70% of my flights are just me and lots of stuff.

All that leads me to the 58P, the pressurized Baron.

Any thoughts on this model, suggestions or warnings, would be appreciated. The best deal would be a trade, and there are a couple of planes out there advertised as such.

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Tom Gresham (HDC)]
      #248637 - 05/24/09 07:50 AM

Tom-

Dave Siciliano has a P-Baron and loves it... do you have his email? He hangars at Addison.

gunny

--------------------
Gunny
www.eagleflyingmuseum.org

Dan Barclay [ORG]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Scott Perdue (50F)]
      #248742 - 05/25/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Tom-

Dave Siciliano has a P-Baron and loves it... do you have his email? He hangars at Addison.

Dave has relatives near here so came by one day a while back and gave me a ride. Nice airplane. It's not exactly for short field work<g> but would be great for the long range flying Tom is constantly doing.

He'll be borrowing an A36 for the photo shoots though<g>.

Dan

Tom Gresham (HDC)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Dan Barclay [ORG]]
      #248753 - 05/25/09 08:38 AM

Probably no photo shoots in the future.

If there are, I'm going to get the network to buy the plane and not provide it for them as I did last time. <g>

Gunny, Dave gave me a ride in his. Short ride, and we didn't get above about 3,000 feet. Still, very nice plane.

Of course, the value of my Bonanza has gone down a ton in the last two years. Then again, so has the value of Barons.

I have one offer to take my plane in trade on a nice P-Baron if I toss in $60K. I'm reluctant to do that, but that may be where the market is. I'm just having trouble getting my head around that.

Oh well. Off to Minnesota this morning in the Bonanza!

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
      #248757 - 05/25/09 08:50 AM

Let me know if there's anything I can do Tom. You're sure welcome to stop by again and get more time in my plane if that would help you.

When I looked, many had different times on the engines, hadn't been run they way we run ours (we're 200 hours over TBO now), had major damage in the past or had avionics that would have to be updated. Look for reasonably low AF times as there is a 10,000 hour limitation; as they cross 5,000 it really affects value. Don't know what to say on cylinders with the Milliniums in flux or gone, but you can pretty well plan on topping a plane at 1,000 hours or less.

I know you're close to the TAT folks; that's a big help. Getting a plane that was well maintained, run properly, and had good avionics has made a real difference to us.

Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dave

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #248762 - 05/25/09 09:26 AM

Quote:

Oh well. Off to Minnesota this morning in the Bonanza!

Will you be seeing Randy? We need an eye witness report from up there.

Dick

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
      #249036 - 05/26/09 08:56 PM

Tom:
You coming to Duluth? Dinner's on me!

Best,
Andy

Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Andrew Niemyer -KDLH]
      #249043 - 05/26/09 09:31 PM

Be sure to take him to the Kitch. Sit outside tomorrow night and watch the sailboat races. Damn! I miss Duluth.

--------------------
-Gil

treploW nellA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: NNJ(me)/DXR(plane)
      #249058 - 05/26/09 11:34 PM

You really should take a careful look at a Cessna 414 or 421. The possibility of Cessna SIDs has become a non-issue for PT91. The P-Baron is nice but the C421 is the next best travailing machine to a turboprop.

Come over to the Cessna Pilots Association forum and talk with people who own then to get the straight scoop.

--------------------
Allen

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #249225 - 05/28/09 10:40 AM

When I was looking at pressurized twins I tried a P baron. They handle very nicely, but was a bit small. And people in the back have a hard time moving forward and visa verse. We also looked at a 400 series but the 414 was too slow and the 421 engines scared me. So we ended up with the 340A. It turned out to be a good choice. It was big enough to carry the family of 4, but still economical (Can you say that about any twin) to justify flights with one or two.

Now matter what you do one thing I can tell you is once you go pressurized it is hard to back.

Also, you might look into the training requirements for insurance. These days most pressurized and almost all cabin class planes require annual sim training.

Edited by Jerry Kurata [KLVK] (05/28/09 10:44 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33274

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG