AVSIG: Student Pilot - Landing Problems wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Reged: 04/29/09
Loc: Maryland, Harford
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Jim Gifford]
      #255745 - 07/17/09 01:41 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the complements but I wouldn't have done it without your help and my instructor's help.

Anne, I think you are right, I believe that the fun starts now that I'll be able to go to many different places around the area. I have to get a lot better with the VOR instrumentation. I flew with my instructor on a cross-country and everything was weird. I missed some of the landmarks and checkpoints and I had to use my instructor's help to be able to write down the time and fuel usage on the few checkpoints I didn't miss. I’ll tell you what….I was overwhelmed trying to fly the Skyhawk while looking at the flight plan at the same time and doing the writing......

So far I have about 168 TOLs in the logbook. My first solo landings were on the grass strip but on Monday I came back and flew few patterns with my instructor for TOLs on the hard surface rwy and then he got out and let me do it on my own about 4 or 5 times. Again, it was after work close to sunset and there wasn't any wind.

I want to train in crosswinds ASAP to see if I improved anything with the rudder and the aileron maneuvers on final. Last time I tried to practice with my instructor on some crosswinds I was all over the rwy. ;-)

I also started looking at some aircrafts and I wonder if you have any suggestion for buying. I ran into terms such as TBO (time between overhaul), SMOH (Since Main Overhaul), TTAF (something to do with time on the airframe)...

I am not in the position of paying cash for a plane so I am planning to get financing for at least 20 years putting something down.

Here is what I am looking for:

I need something that give me a good mileage ( I am sorry for the car terminlogy but I don't know better);-)
Probably I'll be flying from time to time (when mother nature allows) from Maryland to Florida or whay not? to meet you guys in person to have lunch or something one day! ;-)

For sure I want to visit my buddy Mike Campos who is a sell-out b/c he gave up the east-coast for the beautiful California. ha,ha, ha!:-)

I was looking at some Cessnas and Cirrus. The Cirrus I looked at had a stick. I wonder if you guys can give me a ball park figure on how much time I would need to learn to handle the stick. It looks easy but hey, before I started learning I though that flying a plane was a matter of hours ... ;-)

My next milestone is IFR so maybe I should wait until I get the IFR rating to purchase something.

Oh, I forgot……Last Saturday, I convinced my instructor to endorse me for the FAA written test. He was against it because he asked me some questions about the weather METAR, winds aloft, codes, etc and I didn’t answer right….Anyway, I kept on reviewing the weather material and convinced the guy to sign me on. I know I studied a lot but I didn’t expect to get 97 on the test. I was kind of lucky I guess! ;-) I am going to start playing the lottery more often from now on. ;-)

Tomorrow is a big day for me again:
I asked my CFI to get me better with the VOR navigation so I am reviewing Section B chapter on the Jeppesen Flight Discovery Private Pilot Book right now.

ok guys...I'll check back with you soon.
Have a nice Flying and the most important, Be Safe! :-)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Larry James (KVKX)
Public Guest

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Roger Ferrer]
      #255746 - 07/17/09 06:09 AM

Hello Roger,

I've just come across this thread after a long absence (too long) from Avsig. As expected, the advice has been excellent and I'm glad to see you have been progressing nicely.

You mentioned that you are now contemplating aircraft ownership. That's great.

I think I may be able to help with regard to your question about how long the transition will take to learn the side stick in a Cirrus. I have been instructing in the Cirrus exclusively for the past three years and have yet to find anyone having any trouble with the side stick. That includes pilots who have only flown the Cirrus. (Yes there are those fortunate souls who buy their own airplane and THEN learn to fly it.)

I don't expect the side stick to be an issue for you. Stepping up to a more powerful aircraft with very different avionics will take time if you decide to go the route of Technically Advanced Aircraft like the Cirrus. But it is all fun whether your airplane is a J-3 or something more exotic.

Regards

--------------------
Larry James
http://www.unfortunate-sons.com

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #255751 - 07/17/09 07:33 AM

Roger - On aircraft ownership, a first thought is don't expect to find a 20
year term on financing. Most is considerably shorter. A home equity loan
may be helpful, allowing the deduction of at least part of the interest cost
on the loan.

MD-FL is a fun trip but, by the same token, when VFR, you need a several day
window to complete the trip due to the vagaries of weather. Some seasons
that is less of a problem than others. But, especially for a new pilot,
building in the extra time while you build experience is necessary. Those
trips are the way to get that experience very nicely, however. I started
doing NY-NC in a 172 for the holidays shortly after I got my certificate, and
would rent a 172 to fly to different NE destinations on day trips ...
Buffalo, Hagarstown, etc.

If you want to look at used aircraft to purchase, get hold of the Aviation
Consumer used aircraft guide. I think it's now on CD, either in addition or
in lieu of paper. Hours of comparison shopping possible with that. Also,
some recent issues of Aviation Consumer magazine had information about buying
Cirri used, what to look for in the way of the avionics and sweet price
points for value. This a wealth of information in back issues of that
magazine, which you can access on line as a subscriber.
www.aviationconsumer.com .

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #255754 - 07/17/09 07:44 AM

Roger,

Thanks for the posting. Everyone here is cheering you on.

When you post your learning experiences it brings each and everyone of us on this old virtual Aerodrome memories of our days of learning to fly. So - thanks for the memories. :-)

It sounds as though you are making good progress in your own time frame and that is important. Don't rush things, you have years of good flying fun and adventures ahead of you. Having said that of course, I was eager to move on and "do it all".

Congrats on passing the written, and with flying colors (pun intended).

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #255756 - 07/17/09 08:33 AM

Welcome back to AvSign Larry and thank you for the input on the Cirrus and about the stick issue.

I appreciate the advice about the cross-country trips Scott and about the website. I'll check it out.

The reason I mentioned the 20 years financing is because I ran into this website where they offer the 20 years financing with 10% down but this may be an old ad. I will call them and find out:

http://www.usaircraftfinance.com/

Anne, you are very welcome about bringing back old memories.
Hey, did you ever make this mistake?: On Monday, before the instructor got out of the plane he told me that if I am to high or have problems with the approach I should just "go-around”. I wanted practice that on my own and on one of the approaches I gave it full power, started climbing easy and 10 degrees at a time got rid of the flaps. I noticed that the climbing was slow and it was like somebody was holding the Cessna from behind. It was only on downwind that I realized I had left the carb heater on..... lol

Thanks everyone!
Have a pleasant Day!

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
      #255865 - 07/17/09 06:15 PM

Roger,

What Larry said about stepping up to a higher performance airplane and ...

You need to keep your mind farther ahead of a faster airplane, especially on
pattern entry and approach. Everything you're used to happens quicker.

Re forgetting carb heat in a Cessna on go-around, develop the habit of
pushing in the throttle with your thumb extended to catch the heat knob every
time.

Ray

--------------------
Ray,

Owner, Lake Wood Be Gone

Turning quality lumber into sawdust and noise since 2013.

Mike Stramba CNC3
Public Guest

Loc: CNC3, Toronto,Ontario, Canada
      #255876 - 07/17/09 06:48 PM

Quote:

I’ll tell you what….I was overwhelmed trying to fly the Skyhawk while looking at the flight plan at the same time and doing the writing......

Roger,

I found it very helpful to "fly" my cross countries in a flight simulator, as a rehearsal. This was back in 2002, and even then MSFS was good enough with it's ground details / roads / lakes, etc, that it was like deja-vu when I flew the actual x-ctry !

Simulators are great for VOR practice and general instrument practice as well.

Here's an online VOR sim : http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Freebies/navsim/

Mike

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Loc: Philadelphia, USA
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Mike Stramba CNC3]
      #255907 - 07/17/09 08:39 PM

As an instructor, I'd introduce the new tasks by being an "organic autopilot"
on the outbound leg of a student's first x-c. I would hold whatever settings
the student said (IAS or power, altitude, and heading) as precisely as
possible, freeing the student for the new stuff and to test his/her planning
accurately.

Best fun was the time winds aloft were WAY off forecast. The student didn't
spot the drift early on, then misidentified RDG as LNS. He got suspicious
when he didn't see Three Mile Island or the Susqehanna River over the nose
shortly thereafter. The actual scenery was nothing but woods, hills, and
little creeks. He learned a lot, including VOR triangulation and hasty TLAR
plan revision that day.

--------------------
Ray,

Owner, Lake Wood Be Gone

Turning quality lumber into sawdust and noise since 2013.

Andy Dulay [PGD]
Hangar Rat

Reged: 04/07/04
Loc: Punta Gorda, Florida
      #256110 - 07/18/09 09:06 PM

Quote:

It was only on downwind that I realized I had left the carb heater on....

Roger. How could have been so stupid??? Leaving the carb heat on during a go-around??? What were you thinking.

I can assure you that NONE of us here on the AVSIG have ever done anything like that, ever.

Uh, well, maybe once, or twice. Or maybe while doing a go-around during a check ride in the 727 (way back when), losing an engine right during the "gear up" call, switching to something else and then trying to figure out why the airplane was about to crash when the second engine quit.

Well, duh, you left the landing gear down during the entire procedure!!

See? It happens in any "trainer" for sure.

Bet it doesn't happen again though!

Congrats on the solo and all the fun flying you're getting now.

AD

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Andy Dulay [PGD]]
      #257322 - 07/27/09 12:15 AM

Hi friends,

Reporting back....
The simulator helped me a lot and I spent bunch of time looking into Google maps zooming in /out for the next trips I flew with my instructor...well, at least I wasn't as lost as I was when we arrived to RDG. Ray, I think you mentioned you took your student over there too. My problem is that I confused one of my checkpoints and I wasn’t navigating properly with the VOR.

Andy, you right on the money...if you don't get killed by your mistake you will learn the lesson and remember FOREVER.

I spent a lot of time this weekend at controlled airports (LNS, MTN, ILG)...scary stuff. I have a strong cuban accent so 80% of the time the controllers don't copy me the first time and I have to repeat myself. Some other times I found out that I am missing the "lingo" such as do a 180, 360, transitioning to such and such.... these terms were new to me.

To make things even more complicated we picked...or I picked Wilmington (ILG) to stay in the pattern and practice communication with ATC. There was a lot of activity and also "NEW ATC PERSONNEL". At some point they had directed us to land on rwy 1 and when my instructor reported midfield on 1 the cleared us for "19".
My instructor picked that very quickly and made them aware that we were flying 1 mile passed the numbers downwind on 1. Then they cleared us for the proper rwy.

The 2nd incident was with Ground after grabbing a cup of coffee. I called in, mentioned that I was a student pilot as I always do, said that we were at "Airways" and wanted to depart flying west, we had info "Mike" at the time I think, and requested progressive taxing (just to get the experience because my CFI has been there 2 million times). Ground directed us to turn right on Foxtrot and I couldn't see the "F" anywhere...My instructor took it from there and we found out that the person was all confused. I went like....man....I will never get this!...

To me the worse part is when 2 or 3 aircrafts approach to the same rwy I am planning to use at the same time... I get nervous because I don't know where they are or where they are coming from I guess because I am nervous and I am not paying attention to what they are saying... Anyway, my mind says: beep! beep! Possible Collision! beep, beep! Possible Collision! ....you get the point. It's a little frustrating because I want to know how to handle at least Class Delta airports. I wonder what your thoughts on that are since I know you have plenty of good suggestions! :-)

The other things we did this weekend were:
- Hood work for .6 and that is intensive work but I think it helped me out to get better with the rudders
- The CFI explained how to do “intercepts” using the 2nd VOR. I had trouble understanding why the needle was pointing to the left and we were going to the right. Finally, I understood that everything has to do with where you are and where are you going.

I ended the day doing some TOL's on soft field solo so I keep everything fresh in my mind. This time I did not forget about the carb heat! lol

Hope everybody had a nice weekend.
I'll catch with you all later! :-)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 65329

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG