AVSIG: Student Pilot - Landing Problems wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Reged: 04/29/09
Loc: Maryland, Harford
Student Pilot - Landing Problems
      #248181 - 05/20/09 08:04 PM

Hi there,
I am on my 4th week of dual instruction. I have been flying about 3 or 4 times per week. My instructor is very experienced and I have learned many things from him already. My problem is with the flare when landing a Cessna 172M. I don't think I know what I am doing and although I started to use the rudders to align the plane to the center of the runway better (it was a mess a week ago) my landings are really hard.

I wonder if I can get some tips and tricks executing the flare to make my landing more smooth.

Thank you in advance,

Rf

Edited by rferrer61 (05/20/09 08:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Roger Ferrer]
      #248187 - 05/20/09 08:29 PM

One thing that might help is to look all the way down to the far end of the runway, instead of the patch of pavement where you expect to touch down. If you have the correct landing attitude that will help you keep the airplane aligned with the runway. The tricky part is to continually add back pressure in the flare without adding so much that you balloon and start to climb. If that happens, release some of the back pressure but be ready to add it right back in once the airplane starts to settle.

The real key is to have the final approach speed nailed. Too fast and you will struggle forever getting it right.

You will get it. Everyone has some problems with the flare in a 172 at first, but practice helps a ton. And good for you for flying that often.

--------------------
-Gil

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Reged: 04/29/09
Loc: Maryland, Harford
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Gil Buettner [KAUW]]
      #248190 - 05/20/09 09:09 PM

Thanks Gil!
I appreciate your help and I am going to give it a try tomorrow looking at the end of the runway and keeping it aligned or under the nose of the plain somehow until my rear wheels touch the ground.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #248194 - 05/20/09 09:33 PM

Greetings,

You are describing one of the areas of instruction that is very difficult to do without practice, and just getting a feel for what is happening. In addition to Gil's good advice, I have one additional suggestion:

Work with your instructor to separate tasks. If you are focusing on your alignment with the runway (rudders) before you have figured out the right pitching motion in the flare, your brain is trying to do two different things at once. Learn one skill first, perhaps by asking your instructor to assist with the runway alignment while you focus on the flare, or have the instructor focus on the flare while you work on runway alignment with the rudders.

Once you have each task figured out separately, then combine them.

Good Luck! I have a student that is a few weeks away from facing this very issue :)

John

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #248198 - 05/20/09 09:46 PM

Welcome!

Good luck and keep at it. You are in the right place to ask questions.

One thing, on Avsig we use our real names, no handles.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
      #248201 - 05/20/09 10:02 PM

One thing to think about which I always found helpful is: don't try to make the plane land, try to keep it from landing by holding it just above the runway. The plane will settle in all by itself.

Also, ditto on the other good advice you already received.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #248202 - 05/20/09 10:08 PM

Quote:

I have a student that is a few weeks away from facing this very issue :)

Is there a minimum number of dual hours a student must have before they are alloweed to solo? Since I learned to fly in military in 1969 I really have no reference. The Army's idea was you got the hang of it real quick or went to the infantry :).

Bill

Mat Waugh
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/19/04
Loc: IAD
      #248203 - 05/20/09 10:16 PM

All good suggestions.

I was always of the opinion that it's very hard to "teach" landings, you just have to practice until you get them. The role of the instructor is to impart as much wisdom as possible and protect the nosewheel.

If it's available to you then you might want to try flying with another instructor. Sometimes that instructor has a particular point of view, tip, feedback, that suddenly makes it all click for you. I've seen that work more than once, and I've also seen it have no affect whatsoever.

Mat

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #248206 - 05/20/09 10:32 PM

Bill -- No such regulatory limitations, min or max.

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Mat Waugh]
      #248210 - 05/21/09 12:25 AM

Mat,

<<you might want to try flying with another instructor. Sometimes that instructor has a particular point of view, tip, feedback, that suddenly makes it all click for you. I've seen that work more than once>>

Worked like a charm for me during my PPL days. First instructor had 13,000 hrs, 10,000 of which were CFI. Smart guy, seen it all, but couldn't teach. My hours kept piling up and I was hardly progressing. Next instructor - 800 hrs, Part 141 school, knew how to teach and I was off to the races. Solo and check ride in no time.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 64226

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG