AVSIG: Short Term anything this spring? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG Marketplace

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: Wichita, KS
Short Term anything this spring?
      #228083 - 12/18/08 10:20 AM

Cessna has withdrawn all offers made to graduates for this semester and next. My girlfriend graduates in May and (so far) has a job at Beechcraft. Not really sure what im going to be doing but given the state of things im not counting on getting an engineering job anywhere. Anyone know of any short term flying gigs? Ferry stuff, short term CFIing etc.?

In the meantime I think Ill probably just stay around Ames here and keep instructing and flying charters...

Quick personal summary:

2300 TT
300 Multi
150 Glider
ATP-ME, Comm-SE
CFII,MEI,CFIG
Tailwheel, High Altitude

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"
Cherokee II N4653T "Hers"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: Tony Condon]
      #228092 - 12/18/08 11:07 AM

Ag flying season is coming up(G), but talk to Durden first.

Good luck.

Dick

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #228094 - 12/18/08 11:53 AM

Tony:

I'll sure let you know if I hear of anything around here. These times seem to be a challenge for all of us right now.

Best,

Dave

Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #228101 - 12/18/08 12:34 PM

Im not sure that i have the temperment for ag flying. ive often fantasized about it, and the money would certainly be good. I dont have nearly enough tailwheel time to be insurable in an AgCat, and dont have enough money to buy my own pawnee or ag wagon. I dont have a lot of personal contacts in the industry, so it would be hard to break into this season. thanks though!

Dave - appreciate it!

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"

J. Carretero
AVSIG Member

Reged: 02/12/06
Loc: Spain
      #229591 - 12/31/08 04:01 PM

Tony,

What about dropping humans tied to a sheet of fabric? Skydiving, that some call it. Dunno about the skydiving centers around your area, but they are everywhere.

Of course, I have no idea about any openings around the US and donīt know how they work over there either but, at least at this side of the pond, most centers are used to that "short term".

Worth a try, I suppose.

Then -->>Im not sure that i have the temperment for ag flying<<-- And a guy that enjoys being launched into the blue yonder, tied to a piece of wood and clothes with no visible engine, says that. The world is upside down.

Once talking about cropdusting, and even if itīs kind of stealing your thread (not worth starting a new one, I guess), what are those requirements to be insurable in an Ag-Cat or the like? how hard could it be breaking into the business? As for the need of being insured in an Ag-Cat, you mentioned the Ag-Wagons. Iīm sure there are some companies using them; in fact, Iīm sure there are more Ag-Wagons or Braves than there are Ag-Cats.

Salud!
Jose

PS. BTW, did you see the DaVinci-like system of pulleys, levers, rods... between the engine and the pilot of an Ag-Cat? "An aircraft is basically thousands of rivets and bolts flying in close formation" comes to mind <g>.

--------------------
"If any of this gets me in trouble, just remember--I lie a lot", Ralph Hood

Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: J. Carretero]
      #229845 - 01/02/09 11:50 AM

the skydiving drop sites around here dont pay worth a crap, i can do better in a day flight instructing.

seems like the only way to get insurable is to have a boatload of tailwheel time, 200 hrs or so. And about the only way to get in with an operator is to work ground crew for a couple seasons. no one is just going to let anyone have a seat without proving themselves first.

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"

nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
      #229852 - 01/02/09 12:54 PM

Banner Towing for beach cities is fun.
Wear a life jacket in case you have to ditch.

In college, one of my flying students asked me to run a banner towing business. The FAA had to come out and watch me pull my first banner (After reading how and practicing a few times without one) then made me the chief pilot of the operation.

Easy work, and you don't have to instruct. Trick is finding an operator that keeps their aircraft in decent shape. You think jump planes with duct tape for windows, interiors ripped out and old old old everything can be unsafe? Some of the banner tow planes make jump planes look well maintained.

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

J. Carretero
AVSIG Member

Reged: 02/12/06
Loc: Spain
Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: nehoC hctiM]
      #229869 - 01/02/09 04:22 PM

Quote:

Some of the banner tow planes make jump planes look well maintained.

And I know very well of certain Pawnee (not the one on my video) used towing, with over 4000 hours after overhaul and described by the operator as safe despite having one of the cylinders working day yes, day not, because: "come on, the Rallyes work just fine on 4. Donīt tell me this one canīt on 5". The filter made of sponge he bought in the supermarket, the exhaust of a bus adapted to it (actually, not anymore, I learned it finally felt on the Mediterranean), a cowling made of wood (a beautiful job.. at least until humidity made a mess of it) and a mechanic saying he wasnīt cleaning the rust off the spar because that was the only thing keeping it in place. Yup, duct taped windows are a luxury compared to some tow planes <g>.

OTOH, itīs a good suggestion. Not that the pay is terrific per hour (some 30€/hour around here), but you fly lots of hours everyday, which is itself another advantage for future jobs... for instance cropdusting, if youīre towing with a taildragger.

It can become a little boring if you fly 7 hours a day over the same portion of beach all alone, but thereīs usually a freq. used by every other tow pilot in the area, so you can be entertained, besides of knowing how things are going some miles along the way. Actually, there arenīt many other activities in the air where you come to have so much fun on the radio. When flying over and over thru some big airports, the controllers tend to keep an ear on your conversations, so itīs always nice switching to their frequency, all serious, making your call and receiving an answer which includes the nickname they have been hearing for you <g>.

As for cropdusting, I didnīt realize it was like that at that side. Hiring you as a loader was usual here too (and I could tell a story about a nice boss, a brothel and the loaders of the day... Talk about morale), but only after the times when a pilot was a semi-god and before these, when you have to get a rating nobody wants to get, hence the number of rated pilots is around 200.

--------------------
"If any of this gets me in trouble, just remember--I lie a lot", Ralph Hood

Jim Good
AVSIG Member

Reged: 09/01/01
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #229922 - 01/03/09 09:15 AM

A great way of getting a true PHD in aviation is to be a freight dog for a year or so. You will be flying canceled checks, or other light air freight in an airplane that is older than you, with avionics designed before the invention of electricity, and probably no autopilot. The schedule routinely sucks. The equipment will train you to respect mechanics, and demand that you exercise your judgment, and learn to sometimes say no in a diplomatic manner. Your boss will expect you to fly in all sorts of horrible weather. As with the equipment, sometimes saying no is the prudent thing. No load of boxes is worth dying for, but flying light air freight will teach you more about flying in one year than flying a glass cockpit regional airliner will teach you in 20 years.

Hang around the FBO of most large city airports late at night and talk to the Beech 99, Baron, Cessna 402 and Caravan pilots who come in for fuel, or go to the FedEx, UPS, or DHL ramp and talk to the pilots of the contract aircraft that do the feeder flights from the FedEx/UPS/DHL terminals to the outlying stations. The guys currently flying as freight dogs will know who is hiring, and they can give you advice on what company to try to get on with, and what company to avoid in their area.

Just don't do anything dumb or illegal. :-)

--------------------
All things truly wicked start from innocence.
Ernest Hemingway

Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Re: Short Term anything this spring? [Re: Jim Good]
      #230220 - 01/05/09 09:54 PM Attachment (187 downloads)

Jim,

ive often thought that a year of freight dogging would be a great way to get some awesome experience.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, ive attached a copy of my resume. Unless I can find something long term based in Wichita, im mostly looking for short term gigs. Like CFIing somewhere for a week or 2 to finish up a rating, or ferry jobs. Thanks!

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7544

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG