AVSIG: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zanin Anton
Public Guest

Reged: 02/06/08
Loc: Russia. Frozen swamp.
Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #219107 - 10/26/08 10:27 AM

Dear Jack, i don't know exactly. It could to happen because of many various circumstances. Low of fuel, pilots suspects SAM and Flak fire, or something another. I don't know details.

I had to watch full version of that movie, and as i remember finaly some of terrorists from that camp was detended alive and an Mi-17 was sent to evacuate them. Situation wasn't critical for Russian troops so they could to wait some.
As i understood that's video of guys who worked from Kyizilyurt (Dagestan district) and i know nobody from that airmobile brigade that worked from there (actually i even dont know where from that guys was transfered). Airmobile brigade where i served worked from "another side" - from Zladikavkaz (territory of Ossetia).

Of cause Mi-24 can to take some soldiers on board (hehe... practice shows even 16 of soldiers can to "press themselves" inside), but pilots of Mi-24 prefers to don't land without really serious reasons. It's because of construction specifics of Mi-24. Mostly Mi-17 exists for evacuation and landings - Mi-24 mostly exists in this situation for patrol and don't let to enemy to get close to landed Mi-17 that awaits for complete loading. But, if it need Mi-24 can to touch the ground too.

--------------------
This is not an exercise! (c) The Day After

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8587

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG