AVSIG: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: INDIANA
Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber
      #218873 - 10/25/08 02:35 AM Attachment (340 downloads)

Folks,

The Russians and the Lebanese are as far as I know the only nation to use helicopter to drop bombs like ground attack fixed wing aircraft. Has the US heard of the USMC or US Army doing similar with helicopters in any conflict? Photos shows a HIND bombs away with a 200kg bomb over Georgia.

Jack E. Hammond

Edited by Jack E. Hammond (10/25/08 02:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zanin Anton
Public Guest

Reged: 02/06/08
Loc: Russia. Frozen swamp.
Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #218887 - 10/25/08 07:45 AM

What guys are mechanics team of this helicopter? 30 days of iron box to all of this dumbs! Pylon looks scarier than nuclear war...

As i remember i had to see foto of Apache with bombs that looked like CBU-94/102 (at least appearance of bomb was something like that but bomb was more little, i think) but i don't sure.

Dear Jack, looks likes somebody cheated You. That bomb on photo are OFAB-250-270. Do You see blue ribbon on bomb? It's dummy. I wonder why Russian army needs to use "export monkey toy" Mi-25 (external claw can be used for "Shturm" only) in Georgia and bomb Saakashvilian agressors with dummy of dumbfire bomb that can be used against fortifications only...
And that name... ABTOP - Ognyan Stefanov - name looking like "russian alike" name from Hollywood movie about "cruel russkies". In real life this surname are doesn't exists because of there's hard mistake of Russian language mean-fonetics (special term for Russian language) structure. Name looking like Armenian, but with mistake too...
Where from did you got this foto?

Ah! Dear Jack! Almost forgot! Sometimes people thinks this is bombs too:

(This is really foto from Abchazia. Mi-24 "Encephalitis-86" of 201th "Swamp shining" brigade and Abchazian civilian resistance soldiers on western wall of Codoori valley.)

--------------------
This is not an exercise! (c) The Day After

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #218913 - 10/25/08 10:12 AM

Jack,

Quote:

Has the US heard of the USMC or US Army doing similar with helicopters in any conflict?

The US Army used CH-54s to drop 10,000 lb bombs to clear LZs in RVN.

Bill

rheisner
Public Guest

Reged: 03/13/07
Loc: Southold, NY
      #218922 - 10/25/08 11:15 AM

Jack,
The Navy has dropped bombs from it's ASW helos since the 50's. The Navy dropped bombs from blimps. Then again, they weren't "ground" attack bombers. Dropping bombs on ground troops is really a dumb thing to do. Even if they only have rifles a helo would be a sitting duck. Give the troops a stinger or two or even wire guided things and a helo would be meat. Sounds like something the Russians would do.

--------------------
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Katharine Hepburn

Zanin Anton
Public Guest

Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: rheisner]
      #218983 - 10/25/08 03:41 PM

Dear Bob!

Actually i never heard Russian Air forces used airbombs from helicopters after 1991. Of cause FABs and BABs was desigened for assault aircrafts in Soviet Union but it was used in first period of Afghanistan war only. I had to see training bombings when served in army but our Mi-24s there used dummy bombs only and even at that time everybody talked it's absolutely useless weapon for attack helicopters.

As You said it's pretty stupid tactics to use airbombs from helicopters when we need to appear up on heads of enemies. Of cause Mi-24 are heavily armored "junk monster", infantry rifles and heavy machineguns are almost useless against it. Stingers can to be threaty only to "naked" Mi-24 (practice shows it in Chechnya in 1999 - i had to see how terrorists launched SAM to one of our helicopters right by my eyes). Completely equipped Mi-24 can just to ignore most of SAMs because of it's mostly "doesn't sees" it. Only manually guided SAMs can to be real danger. But... there's much more dangerous weapon against helicopters that plannings to use bombs - FLAKS. Chechens had some of ZU-23-2 Flak guns and guys from Torzhock losts one Mi-24 right because of this old weapon that can be very effective if to use it cleverly.

So, airbombs for Mi-24 are something like "unnecessary" weapon in modern Russian Air forces i think.

--------------------

Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #218990 - 10/25/08 04:18 PM

Dear Bill,

Below is a very good video of the HIND and HIP in action recently in Chechnya. The rockets are 80mm type that the Russians developed when they found out that they could not hit the broad side of a barn with the 57mm rockets. According to most reports it is very accurate. Hopefully Zanin will give a brief translation of the radio traffic.

Jack E. Hammond

HIND Gunships In Action

Edited by Jack E. Hammond (10/25/08 04:22 PM)

Todd Allen
Public Guest

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: KTYS
      #218996 - 10/25/08 05:20 PM

What about this bad boy!! :)

Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: Todd Allen]
      #219095 - 10/26/08 02:45 AM Attachment (307 downloads)

Dear Todd,

The photos are of an ad hoc mounting (ie they come from pylons used on Lebanese AF Hunters) used during the Lebanon Army's fight to take over a refugee camp that a radical Muslim group had made their base. I posted a thread about it some months ago. Never saw those photos though.

Finally, see the photo below. It shows a Taliban anti-ambush arrangement (ie pre-9/11)where they took a Russian HIND 57mm rocket pod and mounted it on the turret of an armored vehicle mounting a 14.5mm machine gun. Pappy Gunny still lives on in spirit all over the world. <GRIN>

Jack E. Hammond

Edited by Jack E. Hammond (10/26/08 02:47 AM)

Zanin Anton
Public Guest

#219103 - 10/26/08 05:31 AM

Dear Jack, this video is fragment of actual documental movie from Russian site that callings something like "face of war" (impossible to translate it directly). Actually this movie never was airied on TV because of actual explict scenes and comments of soldiers.
This fragment shows attack on terrorists (Chechen fanatics with Taleban mercenaries) who on invaded to Dagestan in 1999 and when Russian army with Dagestan civilians begans to return fire.

This is translations of radio traffic and comments of journalist:

Radio voice: - Incoming?
Voice of soldier: - Over there! Don't let them run!
Comments of journalist: - Few of that [terrorists] who will survive after all of this would retreat hidely and will run back to territory of Chechnya for regroup.
Voice radio: - Understood. We have here 3 of hardly injured, 5 with medium wounds. As i understood they runned right cross their own minefield there [he talking about terrorists]. We urgently need an aircraft for medevac them.
Voice radio 2 (helicopter): - Team 29, this is 93th. Affirmative.
Voice radio 3 (operator): - Sorry guys, it's impossible. Hold on them there and wait some, please. I just transfered your call to airfield.
Voice of soldier: - What a sh*t... I suspect there will be no aircraft for evacuation even somebody of our guys would be injured. This "it's impossible" as always...

- End of video (i especially didnt translated explicts).

P.S. Foto with BRDM-2 with 57mm rocket launcher looks cool. :D

--------------------

Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Re: Using a helicopter as a ground attack bomber [Re: Zanin Anton]
      #219106 - 10/26/08 05:42 AM

Dear Anton,

Why doesn't the HIND just land and evacuate them. The Mi-24/35 has a rear compartment for eight soldiers does it not?

Jack E. Hammond

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6844

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG