AVSIG: Lego Aviation wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Drones, RC, Sport, Recreation

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Lego Aviation [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #214151 - 09/23/08 12:27 PM

Nope. Haven't been to any California airport except ONT in over a decade.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
Re: Lego Aviation [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #214160 - 09/23/08 01:30 PM

Quote:

I remember that airport as the only place I've seen a Segway in operational use...;-)

Saw a couple security guys at a Giants game in SFO last July...a pretty good use of the technology, I think.

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #214166 - 09/23/08 02:25 PM

I've seen quite a few individuals motorizing around Santa Monica on the contraptions. Also saw some mall security people using them in Lakewood Mall.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #214588 - 09/26/08 08:39 PM

Saw a policeman (attendant) on a Segway at Hartsfield-jackson airport in Atlanta on this past Wed. He was assisting passengers at the curb.
Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #214760 - 09/28/08 09:42 AM

You can rent them for tours of the Biltmore in Ashville. Also Segway tours along the river in MSP.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Lego Aviation [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #214762 - 09/28/08 10:28 AM

Quote:

You can rent them for tours of the Biltmore in Ashville. Also Segway tours along the river in MSP.

Last I heard, Segway wouldn't sell one unless you took their training. Apparently the skills necessary to operate the thing are somewhat arcane. I wonder how the rental company assures that their customers know what they are doing.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
      #214764 - 09/28/08 10:48 AM

Quote:

Last I heard, Segway wouldn't sell one unless you took their training. Apparently the skills necessary to operate the thing are somewhat arcane. I wonder how the rental company assures that their customers know what they are doing.

There's a tour company here in Annapolis that rents them, too. We did the "training" with the kids one day just for kicks. It is different from other ground-based transports you may have been on: Push the stick forward to go faster, pull back to slow down. Now where have I heard that before? <g> It takes about 10 minutes to learn and another little bit to practice - just so you know how much to push, pull and twist. You do all this indoors under an instructor's watchful eye before they'll let you out the door, onto sidewalks with actual people on them. Poor form to mow down a pedestrian, you know. I suspect that's the factory's main concern.

Regards,
Joe

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #214948 - 09/29/08 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The same organization that leads the Segway tours also brings them to parties! I attended an event where they had 4 Segways for party use in an empty warehouse. The rental outfit made you wear a helmet, and demonstrate basic competence getting on, moving forward, turning, and stopping (about a five minute deal) before they would let you "loose" in the warehouse.

The other interesting thing is that there were two different keys. One color was limited in speed to 8 or 10 MPH, and the other key would let you go faster. We only got to use the slower key...

It was a lot of fun, and somewhat challenging. We held contests to go as fast as we could, then stop as quickly as you could. We had the tires locked up and screeching on the dusty concrete floor!

John

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: Lego Aviation [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #215272 - 10/01/08 11:00 PM

I saw a rent-a-cop on one at the Burlington mall the other day.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11355

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG