AVSIG: Colgan Air wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: Wichita, KS
Colgan Air
      #150446 - 04/11/07 08:38 PM

I got a buddy who just got hired at Colgan in DC. Hes coming to me next week to work on NDB approaches and make sure that he is good on instrument flying before he goes to training. Anyone have any contacts there? would be nice if i could make sure the training i give him will jibe with the stuff he will be fed at the airline...

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"
Cherokee II N4653T "Hers"

Edited by Tony Condon (04/12/07 12:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Tony Condon]
      #150452 - 04/11/07 09:25 PM

>>I got a buddy who just got hired at Colgan in DC<<

My condolences.

John Clark (SBA)
Public Guest

Reged: 03/02/05
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #150455 - 04/11/07 09:48 PM

Concur!

John Clark

John Clark (SBA)
Public Guest

Reged: 03/02/05
Re: Colgan Air [Re: John Clark (SBA)]
      #150457 - 04/11/07 09:57 PM

This will creep you out! Pay special attention the the pay scale, overnight accomodations, and "direct hire" captain comments. Yikes.

http://www.colganair.com/Questions.htm

John Clark

Jim Good
AVSIG Member

Reged: 09/01/01
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Tony Condon]
      #150468 - 04/11/07 10:55 PM

Quote:

I got a buddy who just got hired at Colgan in DC. Hes coming to me next week to work on NDB approaches and make sure that he is good on instrument flying before he goes to training. . ..

Good basic IFR skills will be critical -- BUT, does that airline still do NDB approaches? I suppose that it is good to know how to pull the head and push the tail, or whatever that stuff is, but it seems that he is more likely to be doing a bunch of ILS approaches if he goes to any airline. What sort of equipment does Colgan fly? Where do they operate?

Tell him that the good news is that if he survives a few years at a regional airline, then perhaps he will be able to get a good corporate or fractional job flying decent equipment as well as having a much better quality of life, and earning much more money.

Chad Kintz
Public Guest

Reged: 08/07/04
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Jim Good]
      #150486 - 04/12/07 12:23 AM

Quote:

Good basic IFR skills will be critical -- BUT, does that airline still do NDB approaches?

Last I heard--which wasn't that long ago--they do.

Chad

--------------------
Dangerously overeducated.

Tony Condon
AVSIG Scholar

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: Wichita, KS
      #150487 - 04/12/07 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I got a buddy who just got hired at Colgan in DC. Hes coming to me next week to work on NDB approaches and make sure that he is good on instrument flying before he goes to training. . ..

Good basic IFR skills will be critical -- BUT, does that airline still do NDB approaches? I suppose that it is good to know how to pull the head and push the tail, or whatever that stuff is, but it seems that he is more likely to be doing a bunch of ILS approaches if he goes to any airline. What sort of equipment does Colgan fly? Where do they operate?

Tell him that the good news is that if he survives a few years at a regional airline, then perhaps he will be able to get a good corporate or fractional job flying decent equipment as well as having a much better quality of life, and earning much more money.

Jim, thanks for the reply. My understanding, from talking to a former Colgan captain, is that the airplanes are basic /A setup. 3 of their destinations have NDB approaches, but he will likely only shoot one in training. This guy just got done with ATP and has never shot an NDB approach in his life (poor guy) so he will need to know how to do them for training. He will be operating out of Dulles to airports around the northeast.

--------------------
Cherokee II N373Y "His"
Cherokee II N4653T "Hers"

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
      #150596 - 04/12/07 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have done maybe one NSB approach on the line in all my years of flying, but we still trained on them until about two years ago. We have dropped them in favor of GPS approaches, so we still do ILS, LDA, VOR, and GPS approaches. On the East Coast, the only VOR approach we do with any regularity is the Canarsie into JFK. I don't know if Colgan has GPS. I suspect not. Wouldn't be surprised if NDB training was still in their ops specs.
Quote:

Yeah, he'll be "building time for the regionals" at Colgan!

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Jim Tavenner]
      #150620 - 04/12/07 09:24 PM

Colgan? Jim, that sure is a name from the past.

I used to ride their BE-99s between Poughkeepsie and Dulles back in the
1970s. At that time they were based at Manassas, VA, and mostly catered to
IBM employees traveling between Washington and the northeast. Are they still
at Manassas?

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
Re: Colgan Air [Re: Ward Miller POU-NY]
      #150656 - 04/13/07 12:49 AM

Yep. HQ and major mx. Big hangar on the east ramp.

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG