Warning: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/aerofarm/web/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 155
AVSIG: Question on airline travel wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question on airline travel
      #148651 - 03/27/07 01:12 AM

We live in Cincinnati, my wife is going to fly to Albuquerque to pick up our grandson. Because of Delta's pricing, she is departing from Columbus Ohio, flying to Cincinnat and then on to ABQ. The return trip is just the opposite. The plane stops in Cincinnati and then goes to Columbus.
The question is, if they only have carry on baggage, can they get off in Cincinnati? I have heard that the airlines can add an extra charge to my credit card or take other action against me. Is this so?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Question on airline travel [Re: ]
      #148659 - 03/27/07 02:12 AM

George -- You may get ofph, but you vill be shot!

(Page 34, codicil 7(a), Article Fifteenth, Subparagraph 457 to the Contract
of Carriage....stupid and insane as it may seem)*

Seriously, I'd just get off...I doubt anyone would even know.

----------------------
* I made that comment to goad the airline rates, tariffs and rules Defender-
in-Chief. <G>

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Question on airline travel [Re: ]
      #148660 - 03/27/07 02:29 AM

They can't stop you from getting off in CVG. They won't however short-check any bags that way. If you say something to an agent they will try to collect the extra fare. If you say nothing, nothing will happen. Their head count will be off leaving CVG for CMH but it isn't likely anyone will spend the time to figure out who is missing.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

treploW nellA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: NNJ(me)/DXR(plane)
Re: Question on airline travel [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #148661 - 03/27/07 02:43 AM

Is it only international flights where the airlines positive match passengers with baggage? If a passenger gets off they need to ensure that their checked bags are off the plane? If so then if the count is off they need to identify the missing passenger and ensure there were no checked bags?

--------------------
Allen

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Question on airline travel [Re: treploW nellA]
      #148671 - 03/27/07 12:29 PM

Allen,

The TSA's bag-matching rule does not apply if the TSA has X-rayed all the luggage on the plane. That's pretty much the case nowdays (at least in my experience) so you rarely see flights held to get a missing passenger's bags off any more.

Regards,
Joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Question on airline travel [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #148795 - 03/28/07 04:23 PM

Thanks All!

They will get off in Cincinnati. If there are any reprucusions I will let you know.

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
      #148800 - 03/28/07 05:23 PM

<<can they get off in Cincinnati? >>

George--

This is no doubt something you already know, but since nobody else has mentioned it...

They cannot get ON in Cincy. If they tried, the entire rest of the tixket would be canceled.

BTW, I have played almost this same game involving Columbis and Cincy, but in reverse. I had a speechj in Cincy. Bought a ticket from HSV to Columbus, connecting in Cincy. I rented a car in Columbus, drove to Cincy, made the speech. Going back, I had to drive back to Columbus and fly back to connect in Cincy for HSV.

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
      #148810 - 03/28/07 02:38 PM

This is called a "shadow city". The airlines compete on "city pairs"... ABC to XYZ. To be competitive on this route, the airline sets the fare at, say, $150. However, that airline hubs at MNO. MNO is a major city, with lots of demand, so the fare from ABC to MNO is $300. Clever travelers realized they could save $150 simply by buying a ticket from ABC to XYZ, then travel only to MNO, never going on to XYZ. It didn't take long for the airlines to figure out this trick, so if they see that the portion of the ticket from MNO to XYZ is unused, they will charge you the extra fare.

This doesn't seem fair to the traveler ("I'm being charged more to travel less?!"), but remember, an airline ticket is a contract. You agree to pay the fare, we agree to try to get you there subject to a whole bunch of conditions. This is one of them.

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Edited by Jim Tavenner (03/28/07 02:39 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2659

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG