AVSIG: TSA hits a new low. wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
TSA hits a new low.
      #148139 - 03/21/07 07:10 PM

It's hard to imagine, but the TSA has hit a new low. They just instituted a new policy that will require commuting flight crew, who are going home at the end of a sequence to exit the secured area, and then reenter through security, i.e., and pointless roundtrip through the checkpoint. This policy will be incredibly inconvenient to all flight crew, (and also to passengers at the checkpoint) and will not enhance security a bit! This agency is getting out of control.

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
Re: TSA hits a new low. [Re: Jim Tavenner]
      #148140 - 03/21/07 07:14 PM

What's the alleged reason for this new policy?

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
Re: TSA hits a new low. [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #148146 - 03/21/07 07:42 PM

Probably the TSA wants to throw its weight around. Again. It's bad enough they are sexually molesting flight attendants. Now this outrageous policy. Once again, TSA stands for Those Stupid A*******.

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Jim Good
AVSIG Member

Reged: 09/01/01
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #148153 - 03/21/07 08:55 PM

Quote:

It's hard to imagine, but the TSA has hit a new low. They just instituted a new policy that will require commuting flight crew, who are going home at the end of a sequence to exit the secured area, and then reenter through security, . . ...

I am reminded of the technology of the Thermos jug. You know; keeps hot things hot, cold things cold, resulting in the timeless question -- "How do it know?"

Seems analogous in an analog sorta way. If you get out of the cockpit of a plane at Gate 18, and walk to Gate 30 to catch a jump seat trip home, how would the TSA Droids know?

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
      #148154 - 03/21/07 09:26 PM

Jim, this seems just about unworkable in some airports.

One example (and there are many); the Comair concourse ("C") at CVG. Theey want the flight crew to have to take the shuttle back to "B", then the tram back to the ticketing concourse to exit and then reenter security and then reverse the trip back to "C"???

That could take 30 minutes - I sure hope there isn't a tight connection going home.

As asked before - What is the purpose of this, to make sure the already screened crew isn't a threat?

T.S.A. Indeed

- TT

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Edited by Tom Tyson [KGSO] (03/21/07 09:28 PM)

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: TSA hits a new low. [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #148158 - 03/21/07 09:57 PM

Quote:

Jim, this seems just about unworkable in some airports.

As far as I know (it was that way when I retired at the end of 2004) American and Eagle at LAX use a remote terminal for Eagle. Passengers are screened at terminal 4 and then bused to the Eagle terminal. I don't think there is any screening at the Eagle area. This will cause a lot of consternation for someone ending their duty day on Eagle and wanting to jumpseat home to Fresno....

Back when I retired, there was talk of easing up on employees. Perhaps, instituting some sort of "trusted traveller" program for flight crews and ground employees who have to enter and exit the sterile area numerous times a day. Such a plan made a lot of common sense, to me. It looks as if things are going in the opposite direction. I mean, to get my LAX ramp badge, I had to be FBI fingerprinted, 10-year background checked, drugged and alcoholed, and to get access to Customs I had to present my passport and get a supplimental sticker on my badge. Was I really a threat to aircraft?

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Edited by Mase Taylor [LAX] (03/21/07 10:11 PM)

Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
TSA hits a new low. [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #148172 - 03/22/07 06:35 AM

>>As asked before - What is the purpose of this, to make sure the already
screened crew isn't a threat? <<

Tom, the crew could have brought the emergency fire ax from the previous
aircraft. no <g>

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: TSA hits a new low. [Re: Ward Miller POU-NY]
      #148206 - 03/22/07 11:38 AM

Quote:

the crew could have brought the emergency fire ax from the previous aircraft. no <g>

Yeah, and then when they got on the next airplane they'd have two axes...

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Glenn Cooper
Public Guest

Reged: 05/29/04
      #148213 - 03/24/07 05:14 AM

When you get off your plane, and go to the next gate for a ride home, how are they going to know if you were screened locally or not?

nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
Re: TSA hits a new low. [Re: Glenn Cooper]
      #148249 - 03/24/07 12:30 PM

Quote:

When you get off your plane, and go to the next gate for a ride home, how are they going to know if you were screened locally or not?

Boarding pass...not stamped.

Speaking of new lows, yesterday my FO told me about a TSA looker over the shoulder during his walk around of the CRJ 200.
It was POURING in CAK when this happened.
TSA agent was watching him open every panel, when he suddenly realized, she was about to walk directly into the APU exhaust, and grabbed her and pulled her out of the way..just in time.

What training do these people have being on the ramp?
What is next, seeing one of them sucked into an engine like what just happened recently on the ramp with a Trained mechanic?

Seriously

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11382

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG