AVSIG: Business week talks about JetBlue wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: SOCAL
Business week talks about JetBlue
      #146093 - 03/05/07 10:05 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17470040/

"Some years ago, a charismatic entrepreneur started a low-cost airline to reinvent the flying experience. With its hub at an underserved New York-area airport, the upstart carrier became the talk of the industry and grew so fast that in a few years it ranked as fifth-largest. Its founder was lauded as a visionary.

JetBlue Airways Corp.? Actually, it was now-defunct People Express Airlines, which like JetBlue enjoyed meteoric growth in its early years. After JetBlue's meltdown at JFK Airport during a Valentine's Day ice storm, which left hundreds of passengers stuck on planes for as much as 11 hours, the parallels are even more striking: At both, rapid expansion outstripped management's ability to keep everything together".

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: Business week talks about JetBlue [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #146159 - 03/06/07 02:13 PM

Mase - Yup, like I'd said, read book "Hard Landing".

best, randy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: Business week talks about JetBlue [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #146856 - 03/11/07 01:47 PM

Ya, and to also note, after some years of sweatheart deals for new airbus aircraft -they are now needing normal maintenance and I'm not sure the lease deals are quite so good.

Hard to staff an airline for 70-80% load factors and then attempt to operate in bad weather with 100% (plus) load factors.

Time will shake out some of the various problems with the commercial passenger carriers in the US. Mergers, very high load factors, increased fares, and overall, not a good time to be employed by many of these carriers. (IMO), shared by some of my family still employed with massive pay cuts, reduced medical/pension stuff and terrible work schedules.

Nice to be retired and (thanks to a lot of work by Northwest and it's employees -and congress), still getting a pension.

Still, a merger and different contractual stuff could change that situation (but I hope not likely)

Regards,

Dux from sunny and warm Tucson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG